1999 Toyota Landcruiser HZJ105 Manual - Reliability

jimmmyange

Hi,

I just purchased a 99 LandCruiser HZJ105 with just over 260,000 on the clock. Very very tidy car, RACV Approved from a dealer. Log books aren't too complete. Its the 4.2Hz Diesel engine which is just stock with no turbo. I want to know if there would still be plenty of life left in this car? I mean i looked under the car for any dents and bangs but nothing at all which was good.

Any owners can tell me a little bit about theirs or share some knowledge on the model and possible problems that would be great. Paid 21,000 including on road costs.

Here are some photos of it as well.

Any help would be much appreciated,

James

post-39355-0-39878700-1445737781_thumb.j

post-39355-0-33366800-1445737785_thumb.j

post-39355-0-48913000-1445737789_thumb.j

post-39355-0-30272500-1445737794_thumb.j

post-39355-0-82396600-1445737798_thumb.j

post-39355-0-26422300-1445737802_thumb.j

Very nice!

just keep the service up & it will last you years - I personally know one of these with over 700K on it going strong & a few others with anything from 250-500K with no real dramas. usually if they have had problems it can be traced to lack of service or abuse.

I've had 6 cruisers & done about 2.5 million Ks in cruisers & its the usual story - be careful of the mods you choose - the more heavily modified the more pain you will have. most of mine I have sold at around 380 - 400K but only because I wanted an upgrade - they were all still going strong.

check all the wheel bearings & re- pack or replace if needed & check the diffs & gearbox for water or too much wear from towing etc. once you have done that just keep service's up & it will be fine.

if you have any concern its well worth getting a "diesel tune up" done with someone reputable to check the injectors & pump are all working as well as they can. obviously like any other vehicle check the brakes & all the usual things but they are the most reliable car on the globe for a reason.

nice clean car man!!

all the best

G.

• Like 1

Very nice!

just keep the service up & it will last you years - I personally know one of these with over 700K on it going strong & a few others with anything from 250-500K with no real dramas. usually if they have had problems it can be traced to lack of service or abuse.

I've had 6 cruisers & done about 2.5 million Ks in cruisers & its the usual story - be careful of the mods you choose - the more heavily modified the more pain you will have. most of mine I have sold at around 380 - 400K but only because I wanted an upgrade - they were all still going strong.

check all the wheel bearings & re- pack or replace if needed & check the diffs & gearbox for water or too much wear from towing etc. once you have done that just keep service's up & it will be fine.

if you have any concern its well worth getting a "diesel tune up" done with someone reputable to check the injectors & pump are all working as well as they can. obviously like any other vehicle check the brakes & all the usual things but they are the most reliable car on the globe for a reason.

nice clean car man!!

all the best

G.

Thanks so much mate! loved the detailed response I'm going to get it mechanically inspected when it arrives, other than that it seems all fine.

James

James

no worries man -

have a look on "the tube" - search "Landcruiser wheel bearing service" & have a watch of the Powermodz guy's stuff.

he does some good things there & even if you don't do the work yourself at least you can understand whats involved so when you go to see the mech you can converse with some knowledge

fundamentally its a fairly simple vehicle & not too many electronic controls etc so you can save some bucks & do all the basic servicing yourself & if you are more mechanically inclined then the whole vehicle is pretty straightforward with no big surprises.

theres plenty of people to ask so don't get ripped off - just ask its all been done before with cruisers

catchya

G.

• 3 months later...

Jimmmyange

like GC said, keep the service up and it wont stop.  Had mine (2002 GXL 1HZ) for 14 years now, never missed a beat.  I use mine for work so in the bush most weeks of the year.  Have had no problems, upgraded suspension and all the bushes replaced due to wear and tear, but still going strong after 350,000kms. I had a turbo fitted but bugger all difference, don't get sold on fitting one.  Upgrade to the factory turbo if you need the extra boost, but when your crawling along in the scrub the 1HZ just ticks away, no fuss.  Still has original clutch and exhaust, but do plenty of highway kms.  One advice is to get the engine serviced every 120,000 or so (injectors, fuel tank and lines), keeps it running clean, no surging or black smoke if you plant it on a big hill.  Mechanic reckons it will outlast me.  Also, very easy to service yourself.  Have driven the 200 GXL turbo diesel, waste of money and useless gadgets you don't need.  Had to wear ear muffs with the crawl descent on, sounded like the rear axle fell off.

• 2 weeks later...

First thing to remember Toyotas are NOT indestructible. If you intend to do a bit of off roading this is where you must have thevehicle fully up to scratch. I have had my after market Turbo diesel now for 12 years and on my third gearbox. I found out that the reason for this is that I have been towing caravans for 8 years and did not know that one does NOT tow in fifth gear. unless you are not straining ie going up hill even the slight incline . if you are towing and want to preserve the gearbox then always go back to 4th on inclines.

If you are going off road then ( and if you have a manual gearbox) be very careful when using low range low forward or reverse. because the ratios are so low and the torque huge you can easliy strip the front diff crown wheel. So maybe take some lessons from an experienced off-roader before going off-road.

Hope this helps a bit

But my Toyo is still going strong despite my hard treatment of it.  

One more thing, If you decide to fit an after market turbo ... which I have, then be aware that the 1HZ engine has thinner cylinder walls that the factory turbo engine so if you do fit a turbo I would be fitting a low to medium pressure unit because the 1HZ will run hotter than the factory turbo engine.

Look after your Toyota and she will look after you