Corolla ZRE182 hatch Scion iM possibilities

I was just browsing the TRD US website, looking at the parts available for the new Scion iM. For those who don't know, the new Scion iM is almost identical to our current model Corolla hatch except that it has an independent rear end instead of torsion beam and the valvematic version of our 1.8 litre (though with a couple of kW less stock power than our motor presumably because of the very tight emission requirements over in the US).

But I was interested because Scion are considered the "sporting" versions of Toyotas and of course the Toyota 86 is actually a Scion over in the US. And TRD US have said on their website that they want to develop TRD parts for the new iM.

Apparently a TRD air intake is coming soon and there is a photo of it on the website. It is hard to know what sort of compatibility there is but it's a reasonable bet at least some of these parts will drop straight into our cars.

It will be interesting to see what parts they might bring out but certainly a fully enclosed TRD air intake - just like the one people here can already get for the Toyota 86 is very interesting.

I have no doubt at least one Corolla owner in the US is going to try and fit this into their car and if it works it's almost a certain bet it will fit our cars as well.

• 11 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been very busy. The IM intake will almost certainly fit because the airbox base, the engine air intake and all associated geometry is precisely the same in both the US valvematic engine and ours. But I wouldn't recommend at all going to the trouble - it just isn't worth it. I have been able to confirm (both by viewing photos of the intake plus the compliance documentation at the Californian Air Resource Board a.k.a CARB) that the intake includes the restrictive carbon filter mandated by Californian emission regulations. This being the case, you'd either leave it in place to reduce power over our stock intake and have it get dirty into the bargain, or attempt to remove it with a dremel or similar. And if you remove it, you are still going to be left with the interior "ledge" or "step" that the filter is heat-staked into (and which does not exist in the smooth-sided interior of our intake airboxes).

The result is that it is more than likely fitting the air intake will at best do absolutely nothing whatsoever and will actually more likely lose you power. Our cars are already about 4 kw more powerful than the US version as it is and part of the reason for that is the incredibly restrictive intakes needed to satisfy legislation over in the US.

In my view, the best option here in Australia - if you don't want to un-necessarily over-spend and you wish to remain legal, is to simply buy a better quality air filter for the stock intake and leave it at that. I have tried two - the Apexi and the HKS - both dry as I am not keen on the oiled ones - and I prefer the HKS as the power delivery to me seems to be a bit smoother overall compared to the Apexi (and that same result occurred when the HKS was tested on a Toyota 86).

Edited by Rattle Rattleson