KDSS vs Lift and Rear Diff Lock

Syrahman

We are considering buying a new 200 series GXL Turbo Diesel Landcruiser. We will be using it to pull a caravan as well as 4wding with our local club. In researching vehicle we noticed that the GXL only has 230mm ground clearance which from experience is probably too low. If we get the kdss option we understand we can't lift the vehicle. The alternative is to lift the vehicle and possibly fit a rear diff lock to make vehicle more capable in difficult off-road conditions. Members views who have 200 series Landcruisers and have gone either way would be appreciated.

Hi John,

I have a 2008 TTD GXL, with KDSS.

I have a 2in lift, all around (slightly more on the rear) and both diff locks. (So, I am not sure who told you can't have KDSS and a lift, clearly that is wrong.)

It is awesome off road - and as long as you can live with the different ride, when there is no weight on/in the back, it is all good.

Thanks for the feedback Geoff. I read it in a post somewhere. Could you pls clarify what you mean "by the different ride"? Also, what shocks & springs have you fitted for the lift?

I stuck with all ARB product - so Old Man Emu shocks with medium springs.  So, if you talk to ARB the springs were the middle range - gave me (about) 2.3in lift on the rear.  On the front was about the same, until I put on the winch, then came back to 2in.

Anyway, the point is that the rear is expecting some weight, to make it work properly.  So, if you are driving around town, with nothing in the back, it may appear to be bouncing a bit in the rear.

When you have stuff in the back - drawers full, fridge etc.  I also tow, so its all good and a perfect ride (for me).

Regards