Click/tick sound A pillar KZN165R

Geoff Cobden

Was hoping someone has had found and fixed a random click/tick coming for bottom of A pillar, corner of windscreen on drivers side. It is driving me crazy as I can't find its source.  
I have tried everything. I have confirmed that it is not the dash as I have had it stripped down. Dash removed, right mud guard off, A pillar trim off, door open or closed, bonnet opened or closed and it is still there. It can be heard outside as well sounding like it is coming from the rain box in front of windscreen. I have rolled down a hill with the engine off and ignition off at below walking speed walking beside it and it an be heard inside and out so not electrical. I removed the cover over rainbox and checked it and there is nothing inside that could account for the sound. I have also sprayed around windscreen, all joints around rainbox and A pillar with WD40 with no change.  I am now thinking the sound may be transferring to that area from somewhere else, but where? I even had guy that works for GMH finding rattles in new cars put about 10 hrs into finding it with no result. 
So far with all I have done, nothing has even changed the sound, the BUGGER is laughing at me and it's driving me mad. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanksTop
Edited by Geoff Cobden
Add information

Hi mate,

It sounds the same issue I had earlier this year. Can you notice that the speedo is jumping up and down? If yes it is about to stop working. So it is getting twisted inside itself until it snaps. And try to notice when it is moving does it do the noise also. Just try to take notice of it.

Good Luck

Noel

• Like 1

Ok just another thing to check. Have a look around the wheels maybe something suspicious. Guess what I found one day. Brand new tyres with a long thin rubber from the factory that hits the guard while I'm driving. Actually you could hear it more on low speeds. It has to be a simple thing where you do not expect to find it. Look around the engine bay for something loose. I would take the wheels off too. Maybe some little creature!!

Noel 

• Like 1

Thank you again for the reply.  Jacked it removed all wheels, checked all suspension for play or noises, couldn't find any critters (unless it's a Gremlin that's bloody good at hiding).

My hilux is probably the most over maintained hilux in Mount Isa and is in very clean condition although it does get used as a 4wd pig shooting, camping etc. and it has done about 280000 kms. Due to this maintainance and only ever using genuine parts it still looks and drives like new accept this bloody noise I can't find.

The sound is similar to the sound of a relay and is random.  I can not make it do it when stationary.  Moving at all speeds from less than walking to highway speed. Not all bumps create it and it does't always line up with the bumps.  Doesn't do it on really smooth road.  I have confirmed that it happens over the same bits of road every time.  I have also confirmed it is not a relay by rolling down a hill with the battery disconnected so no electrical power,  but keep thinking I'm sure it will be something simple that I haven't thought of when I find it so still very open to any suggestions,  many thanks.

Edited by Geoff Cobden