AE102 Cosmetic questions

Hey all, I currently own a AE102 Hatch from 96 and keep looking at it and wanting to make it look sleeker.

Basically I was wanting any suggestions, I’m a big fan of JDM aesthetic, I have changed the rims and am now looking at removing the outside door mouldings, but I’m not sure if it is bolted or glued and if I would have to respray after I remove it.

What do you know and what reasonable mods can you think of to make a sleeker look? I understand this isn’t a supercar, but I like the car and just need to upgrade the style.

Body-wise there's not too much out there that I would call "sleek" apart from changing the front bumper/grille/lights to a JDM variant such as the FXGT or BZ Touring - be warned that if you can't source a bumper in the country then you're probably looking at least $500 to get one imported in from Japan or NZ (I got mine long before the recent upturn in demand for them, along with a lot of my other goodies).

Lowering it will also help if you haven't already, don't go stupid-low however (really only achievable with coilovers, and cheap coilovers are crap) but a good set of Low or Super Low springs will compliment a set of 15" or 16" wheels nicely.  Rather than removing the door mouldings (haven't done it myself but I believe they are just glued on, can't recall seeing any clips behind the door card but don't take my word for it) maybe look at colour-matching them to the body colour, and blacking out the window frames (unless you already have a CSX or RV) helps a lot in the style stakes.

• Like 1

Thanks Hiro for your prompt reply, given me a lot to consider.
I have been thinking about the headlights, however I’ve been on the fence because I’ve got OEM glass headlights and love the glass... 

Im currently running 14” wheels... I know small, but it’s what I’ve got right now, so lowering might seem out of place. However I’d be more inclined to use lowering springs if ever for price sake.

And yes, I do have the CSX with blacked out frames, definitely helps. 

I’m getting a roof rack soon, I installed a small front lip previously and paint job is pretty nice as is (teal). 

Maybe I will upload some pictures of the car soon and get some more feedback. 

@Hiro I'm seeing a lot about your build when looking up about AE102 mods... Kind of deviating from the initial question, but what mods should I be looking at first?

Wanting to plan this out the more I see and read about your car... I'm not a mechanic, but I like this car and the feeling of upgrading a model that is overlooked for the most part.

I've thought of changing the headers to some aftermarket ones, but then I don't know if I need a tune and the like... What do you suggest?