Caravan towing

Grant prado 2022

Hi everyone,

Iam about to order a 2022 prado Kakadu but I’m worried about the towing capabilities and rear air bags in this model. 
my van weight is 2348kg dry, a load capacity of up to 400kg and has a ball weight of 170kg. The questions I have are 

1- will the airbags be able to handle that downward pressure (a little more when loaded)

2- I don’t understand the gvm, cgvm etc and will I be overloaded when I throw a 50ltr waeco in the boot with 2 adults and 2 young kids. 

it’s all very confusing and a very expensive mistake if I get it wrong. I have tried to get answers from a few dealers but they all seem to skate around and not give any straight answers. 

cheers

grant 

Edited by Grant prado 2022

The spec sheet for the Kakadu lists the following

Kerb Weight - 2350kg (this will be full of fluids etc, but no passengers or cargo).  Basically how much it weighs parked in your garage.

Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) - 2990kg.  This is kerb weight + maximum cargo capacity in the vehicle, including passengers.  Thus, you have 640kg allowed to account for the four passengers and whatever you have in the boot (fridge included).  Importantly, when towing this ALSO includes the towball weight of the trailer (as it is putting a vertical load on the suspension).  Also, this will include any bullbars, roof racks and other accessories added.

Towing Capacity - 3000kg (if trailer brakes are fitted, only 750kg if they aren't).  This is the maximum weight of the trailer that can be towed

Gross Combined Mass (GCM) - 5990kg.  This is Gross Vehicle Mass + the total mass of the trailer.  Note that this allows you to tow the maximum rated capacity trailer even when you are at the GVM limit, however it doesn't mean that if you reduce the GVM you would be able to tow more than the towing capacity (ie if you're 300kg below the GVM you're still limited to 3000kg towing, even though you'd be 300kg below GCM).

In your case, I'm going to use some incredibly conservative (and in no way personal) numbers to get a rough guide.

2022 Kakadu kerb weight - 2350kg (you can also save yourself 60kg here by going the flat tailgate with the spare mounted underneath the floor)

4 passengers - 300kg (2x 100kg adults and 2x 50kg kids, some big assumptions here)

A boot load of stuff + trailer ball load - 340kg (170kg trailer ball + 50kg fridge + 120kg "stuff")

You're now at your 2990kg GVM (2350 + 300 + 340).  You can still tow a full 3000kg trailer (assuming the ball weight isn't more than the 170kg above) and still meet your GCM.  Since your van is 2750kg (2350 dry + 400 cargo) you'll meet that fine.  Just be mindful of how much "crap" you pack (or if my passenger weights are way off, pun intended, that gives you a bit flexibility).

GVM and GCM upgrades are also a thing, however I believe the Kakadu can't have these fitted due to the rear air springs.  If you're _really_ set on a Prado but can handle a slight downgrade in spec and offroad capability, then a VX + GCM upgrade might be the better bet.  Note that GVM upgrades don't normally change GCM, and these things can also vary state-to-state so be sure to check with your local transport authority.

• Like 1

Well explained Ian, I'm sure the O.P will appreciate the information as I have.

We've all seen the horror pics of those who bend their chassis thinking because they have a dual cab or similar can tow anything lol..

You have to crunch the numbers and know the vehicle specs too.

John Cadogan did a few excellent videos on this very subject.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:18 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

Well explained Ian, I'm sure the O.P will appreciate the information as I have.

We've all seen the horror pics of those who bend their chassis thinking because they have a dual cab or similar can tow anything lol..

You have to crunch the numbers and know the vehicle specs too.

John Cadogan did a few excellent videos on this very subject.

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my query. 

• 1 year later...

Help/advice please!!

I have just purchased a 2021 Kakadu which has bull bar/extra battery and now have my kids car seat, roof racks on board too.

took it over the tip scales and it came in at 2,680kg with myself, missus and our son…which is as many people as we plan to carry..

BUT fuel tank was not full

AND it’s the model with 150l tank so 150kg capacity/potential.

we are picking up a newly ordered caravan with 2,450kg tare/ 3,000kg max which I therefore assume will add a 245kg-300kg tow ball weight to our Kakadu’s gvm…is this correct? As if so we would be well over with a full tank of fuel and then surely we are un-insurable even if we don’t fill the fuel tank?

looking for advice before i ditch the Kakadu for a Landcruiser or Defender!

I could remove the bull bar ($3,000) and remove the 3rd row of seats ($300) to come up with an other 75kg or so but doesn’t seem worth it….any advice/thoughts?

thanks