2003 Camry V6 1MZ-FE Oxygen Sensor Trouble

BobwithCamry

Hey everyone! 

I have an Australian model 2003 Camry, with the v6 1mzfe engine. I am having trouble with my o2 sensors, and I could use some help.

First of all, my exhaust looks different from the Camrys I've seen online. It doesn't have catalytic converters right next to the engine, only one down further in the tailpipe. Also, it only has 2 o2 sensors, one for each bank of cylinders, and no sensor after the cat. 

Both sensors are currently producing readouts of between 0.1 and 0.9 volts, like narrowband sensors, but people are saying they should be air fuel sensors which are 0v - 5v. The part number on the front sensor is 89465-40060 (rear one is hard to see). 

The sensors are faulty (codes are po135 and po155) - both heaters aren't working, and I have checked the front one's heater wires, which are open circuit when tested with a multimeter - suggesting it is the sensor, not the wiring. 

The car is using lots of fuel - 14l/100 in fairly relaxed driving.

I need to know, what sensors should I be buying?

TLDR:

- exhaust system is unusual

- exhaust sensors acting like narrowband but internet says they should be wideband A/F sensors
- car using lots of fuel
- please help

Screenshot_20240229-142644.png

PXL_20240229_032400800.jpg

PXL_20240229_032337775.jpg

PXL_20240228_061428463.jpg

PXL_20240229_032250656.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2nd pic indicates an oil leak somewhere. I dropped front part of my exhaust. Front O2 sensor is clean, one just before cat is black.

Your Camry with the 1MZ-FE engine and a unique exhaust system, different from most versions.
According to your description, you only have narrowband O2 sensors in the exhaust system, which operate in the range from 0.1 to 0.9 volts. Such sensors are most often used in older generation cars. These trouble codes P0135 and P0155 indicate a malfunction in the oxygen sensor heater circuits. a broken heater leads to incorrect operation of the sensors, especially on a cold engine and more fuel is consumed.
you will need to purchase new wideband A/F sensors that are compatible with your model. you can view spare parts on globy.com or contact your Toyota dealer. After replacing the oxygen sensors, you will need to clear the error codes and perform testing to make sure the problems go away.

Edited by Eliass
error
  • Like 1