Stolen Keys

Olivia_Jai

Hi everyone, this is my first time in the forum, nice to meet you all. I have a 2000 Toyota Celica SX 2D 4 SP Sequential Auto, 4 CYLINDER, 1.8L.
Not the best story to break in with but I've just gone through a separation and my ex-partner has taken the keys to my vehicles. I have 2 cars, he has 5. My daily driver is safe for now, but my Celica is completely keyless. It's registered in my name, insured by me, and I have proof of all of this.
At the moment it's in hiding at a mates place after being towed from the old property.
I've spoken to a couple of locksmiths and they're all convinced it's impossible to replace the keys without replacing the entire immobilizer system. One idea thrown about was the possibility of using some Camry keys/codes to do a shifty and get it moving that way.
I was just wondering whether anyone had any wisdom to share about this.
Has anyone else had to replace their keys, and what route did you take to do it?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Olivia 
Edited by Olivia_Jai

Hi Olivia,

Sorry to hear about your separation, a real difficult time. Been there, done that.

About your keys, I think any Toyota dealer should be able to replace the keys, when you quote the rego number and / or the VIN number. You will need all the proof of ownership and identity you can provide, for them to action it. Be aware that these keys are not cheap $100s.

Herb

As a further aside, your ex partner, having the keys, will still enable him to "take" the car, should he see it anywhere. Talk to the Toyota dealer about the problem, maybe they can reprogram the immobiliser.

Edited by ozieagle
More thoughts