Whats a fair and good price for a GT4?

Steve gee

What generation GT-Four - ST165, ST185 or ST205?

ST205 seem to go for about the 20-25 mark (however I'd be hesitant to sell it for under $30 if I were to sell mine - it's the last one in Australia, a collector's item! B) )

I now have the details.

It is a 1991 ST185 White Toyota Celica GT-Four

Group A Rallye

Carlos Saines Edition.

The car number is in the 140's.

Owner purchased this car about 6 years ago and has got 193000 Km on the clock.

Toyota has serviced the car in this whole period.

Here is a quick description of the vehicle.

4 new tyres

Fully reco turbo

Clutch is only 10,000 km old

6 stack CD player

New Fuel filter

Alloy wheels (Still have the original rims as well)

BOV (not fitted)

This is a totally original car and as such has the usual stone rash on the front which will be re-painted professionally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

And please dont anyone approach the owner or try to poach it, I have first option, I just came here for professional advice.

I'm not too sure with the ST185 series, but if it's original, kudos for them :)

At a guess probably around the $14-15K mark?

However if your budget stretches that far, send me a PM and I'll recommend you a 185CS that my friend is selling, in immaculate condition ;)

i dunno it has a few kms on it (not HEAPS but more then most of the Group A's)

i would probably say 12-14k

its good to see it has a reco turbo, cause they start to show their age at ~160k

i wouldn't be too fussed with the original rims, they are ugly imho! LOL

Traps for young people, can be very expensive to maintain, they are a major PITA to work on, so any services will cost you $$$ if u don't do it yourself.

Have u driven one yet?

Traps for young people, can be very expensive to maintain, they are a major PITA to work on, so any services will cost you $$$ if u don't do it yourself.

oh, **** yes. And also the fact that the 3S-GTE, while bulletproof, can have a lot of little niggly problems which curse you to no end?! or is that just me? :D

fortunately i have been blessed so far (if u can call it that) only real problem i have had was the turbo dying :rolleyes:

That's not bad. It's only a 3hr job to replace the turbo - unless, if it was like mine when I upgraded to a Blitz turbo, the previous mob who took the turbo off put a 17mm nut instead of a standard 13mm... which ended up taking us a total of 8hrs to change turbos!!! And lining up the original solid oil lines is a nightmare and a half, without taking the exhaust manifold and radiator off :P but we were lazy (sort of).

In short - before you buy it, look at the engine bay. A lot of mechanics are reluctant to touch it, however if you have some minor mechanical knowledge you can do most things yourself without too much difficulty (having small arms/hands sure helps at times though! Have an asian friend handy ;) I'm allowed to say that cos I'm asian! :P) Changing the clutch is an engine-out job.

lol i did it myself, however it isn't standard now...garrett ftw!!

and yeah as long as u have a minor mechanical knowledge it isn't too bad!

The general maintenance items (oil, air filter, fuel filter) aren't too bad (thoe fuel filter is a bitch to get at)

but if u are expecting a std one to live with a WRX u might be disappointed! they aren't slow cars by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't super fast!

hehe... get an ST205... fixes both the oil filter location, and it can eat WRXs for breakfast ;) Plus the engine is a lot stronger, mine's doing daily 18psi without a problem.

dyno1.jpg

Edited by tangcla