AW11 - tiptronic?

YooJ

I am developing a project for my AW11 MR2. The plan is to use the block of a 7AFE, the head from a 4AGE20 valve, new pistons from a 4AGZE and a Garrett GT25 turbo.

What I'd like to do is replace the current transmission with a tiptronic. As the 7AFE is a 1.8, I'm hoping that the 1.8 transmission from either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ will fit in the engine bay...

Can anyone tell me if this will be possible, and if so will it be strong enough to take the 300hp the new motor is capable of putting out - Reliably? If not, what is a reliable figure for boost? (300hp comes from 18lb of boost) (personally I feel that even for the motor this kind of boost is too much for long term reliability and I would be happier with about 12-14lb)

Guest JDM y0 !

yah proberly dont run too much boost witrh the 7afe block ?? im not sure.

sorry to ask but why do you want a tiptronic? i know that a W5* box from the supras is a great match for high torque 4a engines. maybe consider that as they are proven really reliable and not too costly either.

Been in touch with Ray Hall Turbocharging, he recons that it has been a faithful motor for ages running at 18lb of boost, that's where the idea came from. So not sure now.

The 7AFE block while not designed with performance in mind initially, still handles the pressure well when modified.

Why tiptronic? Good question, driving style and fast gear changes. I love manuals over autos, but this seems to be the future of manuals....

Is a supra box going to fit n work in an AW11? :blink:

Guest JDM y0 !

from memory i think supercharged 4a engines use a E-series gearbox?? where NA 4a engines use a T50 box, the t50 is fine for high power low torque applications but the torque is what fcuks it.

you would AT LEAST need the E gearbox from supercharged levin ae101..... the advantage is that this is a FWD box.

the W50/W58 boxes from the supra are apparently not too hard swap into an ae86 but i am unsure about the mr2 as it is a VERY different car (MR as opposed to FR would make quiet a few differences lol)

the transmission for a 1zz/2zz may or may not handel the torque......chances are it would have to be strenghtened as corollas are not anywhere near as torquey as the engine you are planning.

it sounds a very interesting project. im pretty knowlegable (for my age that is lol) about the older toyotas such as aw11s, ae86s, ma61s etc so i will try my best to advise :) where ever i can

Edited by JDM y0 !

MR2s run a FWD-style engine/transaxle setup, therefore it is practically impossible to put something like a Supra RWD gearbox in. You're effectively stuck with whatever manuals and autos that come with Corollas (C- and E- manuals, A- autos), and only the ZZW had a "tiptronic" one (actually a sequential manual). In that case, manuals are infinitely preferrable, as most of the autos are not performance grade and will NOT shift quickly, or hold to redline etc. Most probably don't even have a sequential mode in them, just the PRD21 etc

• 3 months later...

Update - Argo race products are currently making the custom con rods. Getting excited now!

Have got a blacktop half cut on its way to my place. Nice thing about that is that it comes with a 6 speed box! This whole tiptronic thing! Waste of time. Gimme the 6 speed.

Guest JDM y0 !

Update - Argo race products are currently making the custom con rods. Getting excited now!

Have got a blacktop half cut on its way to my place. Nice thing about that is that it comes with a 6 speed box! This whole tiptronic thing! Waste of time. Gimme the 6 speed.

zomg 6 speed aw11 with black top.... sounds great !!!

When you consider that the AW11 only costs around $5000 and the update about the same... you can't really go wrong.

Actually, it's a REALLY great way to recycle!!! (*** I can't believe that they only go for those dollars!!!!)

I also think that it looks like I'm going to break the KW output by a great deal too. What other car out there can you get for those dollars and be so seriously competative with performance and reliability?! As well as the shear joy of having what you have? I can't imagine being proud of rocking around up to a friends place with an old VL commodore with a turbo. Sure it goes well, but it's not the same. It's chalk and cheese. It's like comparing a Ferrari with a Masarati!!!! Probably even more so.

• 3 weeks later...

A tiny point, slightly off topic, I'm pretty sure the AW11's came with the C52 gbox, not the T50. Prior to 86 they ran a C50 box, but apparently as they aged the 5th gear has a tendency to pop out. Although they didn't know that at the time, (boxes hadn't aged yet :P) after 86 they went up to C52 boxs :)

A tiny point, slightly off topic, I'm pretty sure the AW11's came with the C52 gbox, not the T50. Prior to 86 they ran a C50 box, but apparently as they aged the 5th gear has a tendency to pop out. Although they didn't know that at the time, (boxes hadn't aged yet :P) after 86 they went up to C52 boxs :)

Yeah well... Now things have changed.. and I am now running a 6 speed AE101 box, tne new question is................................

Will 223.5kw+(maybe up to + 10%) go through a corolla AE101 6 speed box with a button clutch? THAT IS THE QUESTION for all those out there. I am now thinking of backing off a little and just using a heavy duty clutch instead of the button clutch. I certainly don't want to regularly blow a 6 speed box!!!!!!!!!! Do you realise how much that will cost? And keep on costing?

More relevant, would a custom 6 speed box be more financially viable considering the circumstances, and/or would it be better not going the button clutch? (tripple plate clutch)

OK. Is everyone ready? I am just about to get deliverly of the said AE101 half cut with the 7AFE short motor!!!

There should be some interesting pics soon.

Edited by YooJ

Will 223.5kw+(maybe up to + 10%) go through a corolla AE101 6 speed box with a button clutch? THAT IS THE QUESTION for all those out there. I am now thinking of backing off a little and just using a heavy duty clutch instead of the button clutch. I certainly don't want to regularly blow a 6 speed box!!!!!!!!!! Do you realise how much that will cost? And keep on costing?

The 6-speed out of a blacktop is the C160, so is essentially same internals as the 5-speeds with an extra gear whacked on. I don't see this as a good match for a turbo engine, but you never know. Ideally, you'd sacrifice 6th gear and use an E-series out of a GTZ Levin or MR2, they were designed for turbo/supercharged engines and can take a hell of a lot more torque than a C-series. There's a guy on Twincam with a 7AGTE running close to 450HP at the wheels, through a standard E51 gearbox (albeit with a Quarter Master twin-plate clutch) with LSD.

The 6-speed out of a blacktop is the C160, so is essentially same internals as the 5-speeds with an extra gear whacked on. I don't see this as a good match for a turbo engine, but you never know. Ideally, you'd sacrifice 6th gear and use an E-series out of a GTZ Levin or MR2, they were designed for turbo/supercharged engines and can take a hell of a lot more torque than a C-series. There's a guy on Twincam with a 7AGTE running close to 450HP at the wheels, through a standard E51 gearbox (albeit with a Quarter Master twin-plate clutch) with LSD.

Thanks for the info. I will have to think about it a little more.

Got the 1/2 cut (AE101) yesterday with a 7A short thrown in.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I will have to think about it a little more.

Got the 1/2 cut (AE101) yesterday with a 7A short thrown in.

Duno if this counts as thread minig cause its a month old but hey. Just a little idea. Go a silver top a retime the VVT. The VVT in the silver top kicks in at 4400 and has more to do with throttle postion in the blacktop. Also i suggest a C56 gear box to go along with it. Ive driven a BZ-R levin with a 6 speed and it was not as much fun as my silvertop with a 5speed was more fun. It just felt more stable and it had more top end punch. Now i have a haltech ecu, full exhaust and what not on mine so that may do it but the six speed was running out of power in its high end

Just my 2c's (btw i have 2 C56 gear boxs for sale)