New barina OPC

Opel_Corsa-OPC_135_1024x768.jpg

Opel_Corsa-OPC_134_1024x768.jpg

Opel_Corsa-OPC_138_1024x768.jpg

Opel_Corsa-OPC_133_1024x768.jpg

Opel_Corsa-OPC_137_1024x768.jpg

Opel_Corsa-OPC_136_1024x768.jpg

The Opel OPC stable is about to get bigger as the Corsa is set to join the family. It's such a beaut, even the Golf drivers will turn their heads.

The new OPC model will make its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in early March later this year, before it will be launched to the public.

The Opel Corsa OPC will be the fourth generation of a very popular product. The OPC model is the ideal expression of the Corsa's character, with agility and superb handling to deliver loads of fun on the road.

The 1.6-liter turbo engine delivers 141 kW of power and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds and reaches a claimed top speed of 225 km/h.

The standard six-speed transmission produces a maximum torque reading of 230 Nm, which can be temporarily increased to over 260 Nm via an 'overboost' function.

Fuel consumption is recorded at 7.9 litres per 100 kilometers.

The exterior styling reflects pure sportiness with the roof spoiler, powerful front and rear bumpers with distinctive gill-like air intakes and outlets making this Corsa a real head-tuner.

A lot of attention to detail has been paid to the new model, with the centrally located triangular tailpipe and exterior mirrors being a few examples of increasing the Corsa's sporty character.

Extensive modifications include a stronger rear axle profile, an adjusted torsion beam rear axle weld-in angle, new dampener tuning, a lower chassis and a larger stabilizer.

The new Corsa OPC comes with 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45 R17 tyres while you can also opt 18-inch rims and size 225 tyres. The large 16-inch brake system with blue painted brake callipers ensures powerful deceleration.

The sporty environment is carried right through to the cockpit. It includes typical OPC door sills, chrome-ringed instruments with red pointers and blue-ringed air vents; and a flat-bottomed leather sports steering wheel. The car is also kitted with aluminium pedals and newly developed Recaro sports seats with integrated head restraints and side airbags.

General Motors South Africa were not available to confirm whether or not the Opel Corsa OPC will reach local shores.

that looks hot.... i really hate to say it, but its much better looking than the new corolla....

Why couldnt the new corolla have some agressive styling......

because the corolla aint no performance car. agressive looks aint gonna sell it.

because the corolla aint no performance car. agressive looks aint gonna sell it.

They could always bring out a turbo charged 2zz variant :D

hehe nah i don't think so dude. they stopped making the 2zz engines a while ago.

if they do bring out the trd corolla as many have rumored, id like to see the aurion engine in there :lol:

but yeh that new barina looks quite good. hope its bigger than the current barinas.

Edited by Mikey

Well this is agressive Euro styling for you!

and with a 1.6 Turbocharged motor pushing out 141kw there is pletny of room for a few minor upgrades to push that figure up! For example the small intercooler.

I know in SA the guys with opels (yes i was one of them) Know all the tricks, do's and Dont's for these engines. And it only takes a little bit to get these engines to full potencial!

I was following this a few months ago when there was a spy movie released of this. I think it will be HSV that will have to put their hands up if we ever want to see it here. Im guessing itll be low 30's in pricing here.

Regardless it has made me moist :P

People buy Barinas, but will people buy a souped up one? Probably not many.

Honestly, the sporty hatch is booming in Australia but to bring out this 141kw Barina into Australia confuses me. The Astra has valid competition but the Barina wouldn't. It's obviously more of a European market car. However I guess it would depend on what price they will sell the car here for. That would be the biggest issue IMO.

But hey, it sure looks good :)

Honestly, the sporty hatch is booming in Australia but to bring out this 141kw Barina into Australia confuses me. The Astra has valid competition but the Barina wouldn't. It's obviously more of a European market car. However I guess it would depend on what price they will sell the car here for. That would be the biggest issue IMO.

that's what i was trying to get out.

the name BARINA has been associated with grannies and young girls for too long.

so unless they release it as the CORSA VXR and be priced $30K or under it probably wont sell very well

The barina will have competition from Peugot 206 GTI,renault clio sport,mini,suzuki GTI,polo GTI to name a few

Im sure this car would be competition for the Astra as well, cant see holden releasing a car that would compete with their existing "hot hatch"

have the barina and astra ever gone head to head.....?

not likely to happen now either

the barina will be a smaller car - as it has always been

and hopefully the price will be lower than the astra VXR too