Engine REBUILD!!!

yeah saw that... OUCH... but still find it hard to believe that you can misshift from 3rd to 2nd in a standard H pattern box!!!! On a Euro (noteably Renault) style staggered gate I can understand but not in an H pattern, I mean 3nd to 4rd is straight down, and in the centre column!!!!

It was a common problem in the New Type R and 1999 Celicas because they made the gates very close to each other for easier and quicker shifting but you saw what happened to some drivers that were enthusiastic with their driving.

I have a video of a bloke in the States pushing his RSX (Integra Type R, sort of) from stand still, and he gets it into 2nd instead of 4th. The sound was horrendous.

I read in the development of the Type R engines, they use flat valve springs that have a stronger rebound. So that valve float at high rpm can be avoided. So I am guessing that the Type R engine has a better chance of surviving a spree at 10000rpm compared to the 2ZZ-GE.

Aaron

I've tried in a regular 1ZZ-FE corolla what happens when I try shifting from 3rd to 4th very very enthusiastically. And I found that if I do the "grab and pull", I would get 2nd gear. If I do the shift by putting my palm touching the front of the lever and pushing down, I would get 4th.

Of course, I did the shift at 3000rpm, so that I wouldn't bugger it... Lucky..

Aaron