Heat-related ignition problem

gidgegary

Hello people, I'd really appreciate your help on diagnosing a problem with my '89 Camry. It is a 1832cc engine which I think they call 1S or S1 engine. This is the problem. Car starts and runs well. If the engine is switched off while engine is hot (after say 10 - 15 minutes driving) it won't start. Cranks over but just no spark. However, give it 5 or 10 minutes rest and its good to go again. The problem definitely seems to be temperature related. Not only occurs when engine is hot from driving, but my wife also reported it troublesome and refusing to start on a 40 degree day in a shopping centre carpark after the car had been standing for an hour or so.

After reading an old thread from this site, I changed the coil for a new one. I was quietly confident that this would fix it. Nup. Still won't start when hot. Any ideas what I should look for next?

My dad had a similair problem with his Ford TX5 quite a few yeeeears ago, with that one apparently there was a relay or somthing that was too close to the engine thus overheating it and not able to start the engine. Not sure if it might be the same problem as yours but that could give you an idea to have a look at :)