sportivo after recall

sorry for bumping a mega old thread.

did the rev limiter change after the new and revised ecu was put in? i find it very strange that my limiter is at 7.8k whereas every other stivo i have ever known has their limiter at 8k or 8.2k. i'm ringing up toyota and giving the my vin to see whether it has been changed or not. no sticker anywhere in my car or service book.

and i was wondering if they would still do it even after 8 years since my car was released from the factory. one of my reciepts (07/09/04 has this printed at the top:

J# 1 50T0ZZECUCSE *COROLLASPORTIVOSE* Tech(s) : GL Waranty

* REPLACE

* AIR CLEANER CAP

* AND ENGINE ECU (4529E1)

COMPUTER SET

did people get this on their reciepts?

cheers :)

did the rev limiter change after the new and revised ecu was put in? i find it very strange that my limiter is at 7.8k whereas every other stivo i have ever known has their limiter at 8k or 8.2k. i'm ringing up toyota and giving the my vin to see whether it has been changed or not. no sticker anywhere in my car or service book.

and i was wondering if they would still do it even after 8 years since my car was released from the factory. one of my reciepts (07/09/04 has this printed at the top:

* REPLACE

* AIR CLEANER CAP

COMPUTER SET

i remember reading somewhere that the cut-out point of the rev limiter is also influenced by the type of oil youre running the engine on. i don't know the technical aspects of fluid dynamics in an engine, but it could be influenced by the oil pressure from a particular oil viscosity.

* REPLACE

* AIR CLEANER CAP

COMPUTER SET

i remember reading somewhere that the cut-out point of the rev limiter is also influenced by the type of oil youre running the engine on. i don't know the technical aspects of fluid dynamics in an engine, but it could be influenced by the oil pressure from a particular oil viscosity.

i see... so dyslexik's theory with engine oil might be correct... does anyone on the forums use HPR5 sem syn? cuz thats what i'm using atm... i know eviltwin uses it but i don't think he is willing to hit limiter for me LOL. :P he did say when toyota stole his oil and used the normal toyota genuine one he car was sluggish and slow on response but the limiter was still the same. maybe there was still some of the better oil coated on the engine hence the ecu still allowed to rev to 8.2k?

i have hit 8k limo ONCE. thats when i was in first gear revving up slowly to the limiter. did this yesterday after resetting the ecu but still doesn't work :( this was also on hpr5.

i just rang toyota customer relations. ecu flash was already done in sept 2004 which was the date of the reciept with the above info

i see... so dyslexik's theory:P with engine oil might be correct... does anyone on the forums use HPR5 sem syn? cuz thats what i'm using atm... i know eviltwin uses it but i don't think he is willing to hit limiter for me LOL. he did say when toyota stole his oil and used the normal toyota genuine one he car was sluggish and slow on response but the limiter was still the same. maybe there was still some of the better oil coated on the engine hence the ecu still allowed to rev to 8.2k?

Duy u goose, I didn't say it stayed at 8.2K when the Mobil oil was put in by Footscray Toyota. The limiter actually dropped below 8K rpm and you should know from memory, as you test drove my car while it still had the Mobil oil in it. Did it not limit to 7.8-7.9K????

The car struggled pretty much throughout the rev range past 4K rpm... kinda felt the engine was it's maximum peak at 7K rpm.

In addition, the oils were the same viscosity of 10w30 too. So ultimately, the different brand label and oil properties would be the main reason for the differing engine performances. The oil I'm using is in a league of it's own, the pioneers of fully synthetics for that matter.... and I haven't had the need to top up the oil as yet, since the oil on the dipstick remains at a constant level.... 7,000+ kms later too with the oil still remaining to be a clear honeycomb colour with no burnt smell to it.

Truly..... "Oils ain't oils"

• Redline - Pure group 5. Have yet to try this, as I wanted to try Amsoil first due to it's proven history.
  • Royal Purple and Royal Purple XPR - Still good at protecting the engine, but it's marketing gimmick of increasing HP was deemed to be void as it was solely based on consumer reviews and not on facts. But drag strip racers and others still use this oil for their extremely high horse powered cars.... so as long as it's protecting the engine, then there is no reason why you wouldn't use it.
  • Amsoil and Amsoil racing - Group 4/5. Number 1 in protecting engine wear using the 4-ball wear test. Has decades of proven history in protecting the engine, lasts longer than all other oils (longer change intervals)... and I know for a fact based on personal experience, that the information I have read about the Amsoil products stands up to its word. Nevertheless.... they are the pioneers of fully synthetics.