sportivo after recall

first of all, i had been searching on this forum about sportivo recall, and would really like to thank some of the members on here specially XOOM, they really pushed the issues to toyota :clap: , without u guys we probably wont even get any recall!

i had just found out that the 1st owner of my car didnt go to the recall!!!!! so i called toyota and they tried to ignore me at first but i keep pushing them, so after like 15min each speaking to service department and toyota HQ, they finally booked me in for next monday morning :yahoo: .

my question is, whats the recall include? is it just the ecu and intake mod, or with the gear selector cable? i searched but some say its with the cable some say its not, remember i dont have warranty anymore, will they still fix the cable thing for me for free? i did ask toyota about it and they said 'it depends!'

and also r there anything else needs to be changed besides this two?

i have a Tom's panel filter should i get that out and put the 'normal' one in b4 i go??

r there any noticeable difference after the new ecu and intake :P ? again i searched, some say there is heaps more power in mid range, some says theres no gain?

did the new ecu and intake made the stivo quieter? coz i kinda like the sound of it as it is now :D

thanks everyone

hey dude

what year stivo had the recall ??

im curious since ive only had my 03 stivo for a very short time on the rd (loss of licence)

so i havent really driven the car much nor looked into things like this !!

links pls

cheers mate

jonno

hey dude

what year stivo had the recall ??

im curious since ive only had my 03 stivo for a very short time on the rd (loss of licence)

so i havent really driven the car much nor looked into things like this !!

links pls

cheers mate

jonno

its all pre-facelifts :) , if u have a facelift model than you're ok

ok lets try answering each question from ur massive lot of questions ;) ;) ;)

first of all, i had been searching on this forum about sportivo recall, and would really like to thank some of the members on here specially XOOM, they really pushed the issues to toyota :clap: , without u guys we probably wont even get any recall!

your more than welcome as this was obviously a problem affecting my car aswell .... i just wished at the time more forum members got off their a.s.s and helped because toyota still to this day doesnt acknowledge all the issues because not many ppl bothered 2 get the fixed ...... the way i saw it was i just bought a brand new car it had better be as close 2 perfect as possible and mine was far from it.

i had just found out that the 1st owner of my car didnt go to the recall!!!!! so i called toyota and they tried to ignore me at first but i keep pushing them, so after like 15min each speaking to service department and toyota HQ, they finally booked me in for next monday morning :yahoo: .

that is hilarious that they would try 2 ignore u because they should know that without the ECU recall ur car is not ADR compliant which then means ur actual not insured because to have insurance the car must be road legal ..... so if anything does happen between now and getting it fixed toyota is liable .... this is the reason y toyota did not allow any cars to be released from their dealerships when this was discovered .... we had ppl on the forum who had paid for their cars but couldnt even go and pick them up.

my question is, whats the recall include? is it just the ecu and intake mod, or with the gear selector cable? i searched but some say its with the cable some say its not, remember i dont have warranty anymore, will they still fix the cable thing for me for free? i did ask toyota about it and they said 'it depends!'

the official recall is just the ecu and intake mod ..... the selector cables issue is a fix which only came about as a result of a lot of people complaining ..... now the 'it depends' part is really going to be on what mood they are in as they are not obliged to replace the selector cables especially depending on where in the rev range ur getting them rattle ..... my original 2 sets of selector cables were rattling and very loud i might add between 3K rpm & 5K rpm .... this was deemed in the normal driving conditions so they changed them twice .... the last set that went in simply moved the rattle to about 7K rpm .... at that point when i also went back and complain i was told this was not within "normal" driving conditions so i figured i'd pushed my luck far enough ..... plus i checked this with the ACCC & fair trading and yes they are well within their right 2 refuse this fix .... u might ask wats normal driving conditions .... well check ur manual and ull see there is a page which tells u wen u should change gears .... thats normal driving conditions ..... funny the person having a rule applied upon them is defining the rules boundaries <_< <_< <_< <_<

and also r there anything else needs to be changed besides this two?

there were a few other bits and pieces but none were really recalls .... e.g. the window rubber melting away, shocks leaking etc but none of these were offical recalls just warrenty fixes and as ur out of that u got no chance of getting anything else checked / fixed for free.

i have a Tom's panel filter should i get that out and put the 'normal' one in b4 i go??

A panel filter is a consumable item so as long as its fit for purpose toyota cant say anything .... its like oil or spark plugs, tyres etc the car uses them .... consumes them then u need to change it ..... so i wouldnt bother changing it if i was u ..... if they do say something i'd be interested 2 hear wat their point of view is ..... lol

r there any noticeable difference after the new ecu and intake :P ? again i searched, some say there is heaps more power in mid range, some says theres no gain?

ok this is really going to depend and like you've mentioned some cars i have driven got a very noticable kick ..... others it almost did nothing for them ..... i can only really think of 1 reasons why this could be the case .... Before i explain it 1 thing to remember is the ECU's are mass produced and have the base map written to them on a factory line ..... to pass all the ecu's map has 2 do is fall between a given upper and lower limit .... this being said my reasoning is maybe the pre-recall ecu was probably practically @ the border line of having the car actually performing properly so when the recall was done it might have only gained 1kw or 2kw and a gain such as that is negligle and isnt even noticable ..... where as there were other cars which u could just tell they werent producing the good because they also had issues with their air fuel not just the timing as was the case ..... so yeah hence the variance in whether it actually made a difference.

did the new ecu and intake made the stivo quieter? coz i kinda like the sound of it as it is now :D

thanks everyone

ur really streching the memory but i dont believe there was a change in the noise that the car made but like i said that was ages ago and before many mods so yeah i cant say 100% this was the case ......

ok lets try answering each question from ur massive lot of questions ;) ;) ;)

that is hilarious that they would try 2 ignore u because they should know that without the ECU recall ur car is not ADR compliant which then means ur actual not insured because to have insurance the car must be road legal ..... so if anything does happen between now and getting it fixed toyota is liable .... this is the reason y toyota did not allow any cars to be released from their dealerships when this was discovered .... we had ppl on the forum who had paid for their cars but couldnt even go and pick them up.

now that i think about this point i can see though that toyota could get themselves off the hook by simply proving they contacted the original owner and thats all they were obliged 2 do ..... the rest is @ the risk of the owner ..... however they still shouldnt give u any crap over trying to get it done .....

how would u know if your car has gone to the recall or not ??

there was a picture on here somewhere but it appear 2 have disappeared ...... can someone take a pic of the sticker on post it up ..... unfortunetly i had mine done before the stickers were available so i dont have 1 ..... lol ....

sorry i should have added that ..... i believe they put in on the pillar when u open the drivers door .... near where the sensor is which trigger if ur door is open or closed. some please post a pic .... lol

if u know where i can find the sticker i can have a look to see if i have one

would they put it in the manual or service book ??

or on the ECU or some thing ??

The stickers were red and placed on the inside of the driver door panel near the hinge (but then mine didn't get one either - I would very much doubt that the recall was not done unless it had never been back to Toyota for a service when it was under warranty).

Toyota sent letters to all owners and the service guys used to ask as well.

im pretty sure mine deosnt have a sticker

ill check it out later

edit:

no sticker...

XOOM u said "ok this is really going to depend and like you've mentioned some cars i have driven got a very noticable kick ..... "

what do u mean noticable kick? when lift engeaged OR u meant after the fix there was alot more punch generally??

Edited by oncy

im pretty sure mine deosnt have a sticker

ill check it out later

edit:

no sticker...

XOOM u said "ok this is really going to depend and like you've mentioned some cars i have driven got a very noticable kick ..... "

what do u mean noticable kick? when lift engeaged OR u meant after the fix there was alot more punch generally??

sorry probably should have given it a better description ..... lol ..... the cars that i have driven where the recall was noticable simply felt smoother and ballsier down low in the rev range where as before it was like pushing **** up hill 2 get it moving (ok exaggerating but u knw wat i mean) but the transition into lift was not as noticable because the low cam seemed 2 be pulling its weight a bit more ......

hmmmmm

maybe i need to check if mine has been done ...coz when lift kicks it really kicks

ill take it to castle hill toyota when i get my licecene back they always seem to have

good customer service

and gotta get the clutch adjusted as well

so you rekon most pre-facelifts woulda got the recall done ?? are there any other ways of finding out like going to the dealership or some thing??

cheers

Edited by oncy

I'd prolly put the stock panel filter in just to play safe. Sticker is definately silver with black writing same as the one Micky Tee posted up.

I assume that's the standard Toyota recall sticker 'cos mine looks like that too, different recall though :)

thank you everyone for their replies, and thanks again XOOM for all that info, yeah i might put the stock filter back in, i'll be a good boy :), yeah xoom, they still try to turn around on this issue, or maybe just the lady i spoke to.anyway i talked to toyota and lady said "recall? what recall? i didnt know there was a recall on corolla?" so i asked nicely if she could check for me and she had about 3seconds of silence and than sigh, "Oooookay, i'll check"! (dont tell me u had a long day! its 9am in the morning!) not very good, and she sigh so many times its not funny

my sticker is silver :unsure:

Sorry I was told they were red. As I said I got the recall done but no sticker. Looked in the warranty / service book and there is no mention of it being done. also checked under bonnet and nothing there either. So I know it has been done but you can't tell by looking at the car.

Sorry I was told they were red. As I said I got the recall done but no sticker. Looked in the warranty / service book and there is no mention of it being done. also checked under bonnet and nothing there either. So I know it has been done but you can't tell by looking at the car.

i had a look round my car yesterday and i have no sticker either so im unsure as im the second owner

ima just call with me VIN and double check

i had a look round my car yesterday and i have no sticker either so im unsure as im the second owner

ima just call with me VIN and double check

just call them , the not very busy, i only waited 10 second for some one to talk to me :)

i got mine done today at nunawading toyota, and they were really good this time, very polite and etc, they even ask me was there any other concerns with the car! they gave my car a silver sticker just like others, its got the date and code number on it. the gain for my car was huge, sounds lot deeper when full throttle, response was better, now i can climb up a small hill with air-con on almost to the max, and three people in the car, and it only require light throtle in fifth gear! iam really happy with the car now, just need to do the clutch adjustment again and for good

If you go back to the dealership that did the recall you can ask for a sticker to be placed on the car. They did it for me.