Timing Belt concerns

Cam93

Bought my Camry at 178k, currently at 185k, original owner was a "mechanic" before previous owner, no sticker saying when TB was done, no record in service book of it being done. Judging by the look of it now and the fraying on one edge, is it bad enough that I should ask for it to be changed when I get it serviced in the next couple weeks or is it okay and just wait until 200k?

(Notice the fraying on the belt around the pulley also)

Timing belt 185000kms.jpg

22 minutes ago, Cam93 said:

Bought my Camry at 178k, currently at 185k, original owner was a "mechanic" before previous owner, no sticker saying when TB was done, no record in service book of it being done. Judging by the look of it now and the fraying on one edge, is it bad enough that I should ask for it to be changed when I get it serviced in the next couple weeks or is it okay and just wait until 200k?

(Notice the fraying on the belt around the pulley also)

Timing belt 185000kms.jpg

That's not your timing belt - the 2AZ runs a timing chain.  That is just the accessories/serpentine belt.  A hell of a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a timing belt, might as well change it just for peace of mind.

27 minutes ago, Hiro said:

That's not your timing belt - the 2AZ runs a timing chain.  That is just the accessories/serpentine belt.  A hell of a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a timing belt, might as well change it just for peace of mind.

Alright, thanks Hiro, does the 1MZ run a belt? Could have sworn the service booklet said replace belt at 150k which was for the 1MZ, or I could be wrong haha. Should the chain ever be replaced? Will Toyota inspect it if requested?

7 minutes ago, Cam93 said:

Alright, thanks Hiro, does the 1MZ run a belt? Could have sworn the service booklet said replace belt at 150k which was for the 1MZ, or I could be wrong haha. Should the chain ever be replaced? Will Toyota inspect it if requested?

Yes the 1MZ ran a timing belt.  Timing chains, all going well, will last the life of the car and only need changing if they are broken or stretched.

Awesome, thanks, I went back and double checked the service book to make sure I wasn't trippin, it does indeed say to change the TB on the 1MZ @150k. Little surprising it says 150k instead of 100k but eh.