265/75R16

brizkiwi24

Gidday Hilux drivers 

I drive a 2003 double cab hilux, no suspension lift or body lift. Was just wondering if anybody had fitted 265/75R16 tires and if they had did they have any scrubbing on the guards?

thanks in advance 

Edited by trentmeyer23
Moved to correct section.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about 265/75R16's but I would check the diameter against standard. Going bigger will upset the gear ratios which Toyota carefully worked out for best power and economy for engine. Going bigger will decrease power, increases fuel use and give you an incorrect speedo.

I was very surprised at the difference in gear ratios between the turbo and non turbo Hilux. My mate has a non turbo.

If you want 16" rims check which tyre matches standard. It will be fairly low profile as standard 15" tyres are 255/70R15's.

I run Bridgestone 604V 9R15's on mine as they match original diameter so speedo is accurate and gives best power and economy. Handles much better than the cheese cutters it came with.

I also worked out the correct tyre pressures which gives better ride, handling and a perfectly even wear.  I get 80000 kms to a set, going for 100000 this time rotating all 5. I rotate every 5000kms with the oil change.  This is based on the tyre information on the tyre and the actual vehicle weight on each tyre.  I took it to a weigh bridge and weighed back and front separately then using the data on the tyre worked out the correct cold pressure.  The formula is (max pressure divided by max weight times actual weight). On my Hilux it works out to 31psi front and 23psi rear with no load. It works out about 2psi for every extra 100kgs added in the back but I use the formula.

I also did a lot of experimenting with suspension lift as well by winding up the torsion bar which looks good but found that it upset the handling and gave a rough ride so I wound it back to standard. 

Edited by Geoff Cobden

• 6 months later...

I'm running 245/75R16 on 16x7s not sure what the off set is. no issues yet. though i'm on a 2" lift. it sets your speedo off by +4 at 100Kmh (speedo says 100 but your actually doing 104-106) got them engineered but was told i didn't have to.  

Put some 265/75R16 on 16x8s 0 off set, had some scrubbing on the mad flaps and sway bar on full lock. JAX fixed the full lock issue but i didn't look into the mad flap issue. got rid of them real quick.

hope this helps. i'm also looking into putting 265/75R16 back on just not sure what offset you need.