Engine running cold?

I bought my corolla 6 month ago and it is a 97 1.6L sedan. This is my second car and things that worry me is temperature needle is not stay in the middle but a little lower. Does it suggest that my cars engine is running cold? While the car keep going the needle stay need two scale lower than middle. however when the car idle for the jam the needle move up a bit slowly to the middle. In my experience, the needle should always stay in the middle after the car warm up. Is it right? do you think it will cause any problem? How much to fix it? My next service is due in june. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks :help:

I bought my corolla 6 month ago and it is a 97 1.6L sedan. This is my second car and things that worry me is temperature needle is not stay in the middle but a little lower. Does it suggest that my cars engine is running cold? While the car keep going the needle stay need two scale lower than middle. however when the car idle for the jam the needle move up a bit slowly to the middle. In my experience, the needle should always stay in the middle after the car warm up. Is it right? do you think it will cause any problem? How much to fix it? My next service is due in june. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks :help:

That sounds about right. Mine runs a little under the half way mark when warmed up even. As soon as the thermostate pops you're right to open the motor up a bit more. Never rev the crap out of a cold motor lol.

I never worry about a motor being too cold after it's been drivin for a while. I do worry about it being hot though lol.

As far as I knew, different cars have their normal running temps at different parts of the guage. for example, a commodore sits about a 1/4 of the way through the temp guage where as my last car the needle pointed about half way. The temps werent too different, but my cars 'healthy' temp was indicated as a higher point on the guage.

Could it be hotter when you are idle due to no airflow? My old Holden used to have temp problems...it didn't hold water, and when i sat at traffic lights it would overheat. As soon as i got it moving for long enough, the temperature gauge would settle down enough to turn the red light off LOL. Perhaps this is the same principle?

A tick-mark or two below half-way is the normal operating temperature for most cars, including the Corolla that you've got (I'm assuming it's an AE101, as you said 1.6L). I should know, because I've got an AE102, and it has never gone higher than half-way.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist