Fuel Consumption

SILVABULLIT

Hi all

am looking for anyone to give me an idea on what sort of economy i should be getting out of my Hilux. It seems really thristy and not a lot of power like I thought it would. I have advanced the injector pump timing a little and that made it a lot better but the economy is still lousy. I'm talking just over 400km to a tank of fuel (66l tank) and that's driving it fairly easy. drive it harder and you can watch the gauge drop. My brother in law has a 4 runner with the 2.8 diesel in it and he can get something like over 600k's to a tank.

Snorkel is on it's way and also an aftermarket turbo set up too. But does anyone have any other ideas???

Hey SB, Hilux`s are usually heavy on fuel. My dads 99 model rwd 2.7 petrol eats about 12L/100kms as my xr6t uses 13 to 14.5L /100km. And my mates new hilux v6 4x4 is eating about 16L/100. Hopefully u will get some info out of this.

Russ

Hi all

am looking for anyone to give me an idea on what sort of economy i should be getting out of my Hilux. It seems really thristy and not a lot of power like I thought it would. I have advanced the injector pump timing a little and that made it a lot better but the economy is still lousy. I'm talking just over 400km to a tank of fuel (66l tank) and that's driving it fairly easy. drive it harder and you can watch the gauge drop. My brother in law has a 4 runner with the 2.8 diesel in it and he can get something like over 600k's to a tank.

Snorkel is on it's way and also an aftermarket turbo set up too. But does anyone have any other ideas???

My Dad has the dual cab 4wd 3.0L Diesel Hiluxx (not SR5) with the aftermarket 115L ARB tank, a snorkel, steel ARB bullbar (with foggies), canopy, dual battery kit, aluminium side skirts, rear steel tow bar (just to demonstrate the weight factor)

He reckons the best he has done is 1050KM and his average is somewhere between 8.5-9.0KM per L... Although my dad drives it like an old man :lol:

Yours is roughly 6.0KM per L which is not too good, what sought of driving do you do and is there anything very heavy on their e.g. a winch?

Edited by grima88

Hi all

My Dad has the dual cab 4wd 3.0L Diesel Hiluxx (not SR5) with the aftermarket 115L ARB tank, a snorkel, steel ARB bullbar (with foggies), canopy, dual battery kit, aluminium side skirts, rear steel tow bar (just to demonstrate the weight factor)

He reckons the best he has done is 1050KM and his average is somewhere between 8.5-9.0KM per L... Although my dad drives it like an old man :lol:

Yours is roughly 6.0KM per L which is not too good, what sought of driving do you do and is there anything very heavy on their e.g. a winch?

alloy bull bar and spotties

side steps

canopy

tray liner

h/d tow bar

CB radio LOL

And I can drive it really gentle but it doesn't seem to make any difference. turbo conversion is coming real soon me thinks with a dyno tune....

Hi all

alloy bull bar and spotties

side steps

canopy

tray liner

h/d tow bar

CB radio LOL

And I can drive it really gentle but it doesn't seem to make any difference. turbo conversion is coming real soon me thinks with a dyno tune....

Nah nothing really stands out there as particularly heavy, she might just need a good tune!

Is it a brand new car? if it is, give it some time to settle in, it will always use more then you are running the engine in. But if you see no change, when it comes to your first service, get the service guys to look at it, they should be able to plug in to the ECU and do a quick lap around the block to see if anything is running abnormally.

Otherwise, if its not a new car, get them to have a look at it, at your first service.

give it a chance to loosen up a bit. I've got a 2000 model dual cab with the 3LTR TD - when I bought it had 50 000 on the clock and only got around 400km / tank. Since it ticked over 120 000 it's averaging 600/tank on trips and about 500 around town.

thats the joys of diesel's for ya! :toast:

I think it's run in by now with 193 000k's on it LOL. Am going to check valve clearances and get injector nozzles cleaned/replaced as recommended by one of my parts suppliers.