RTA Hooning Commercial... The Remix

we studied advertisments like this in social justice at uni.

i believe it is safe to assume that the majority of hoons behind the wheel have a P3N15. - there are females out there who might speed but theyre far outnumbered by the males. but i think this ad is focussing on the majority of those who speed.

you got to look at this from an advertising perspective.

commercials are designed to be more or less a representation of how we aussies see ourselves. the typical aussie is what- a bronzed blonde haired aussie bloke who either loves his sport, his beer or his fast cars.

to go even further, typical aussies would drive fordz or holdenz, so the advertisers are goign it safe by using the " TYPICAL, AVERAGE AUSSIE BLOKE" in their adz. many australians - even though they dont look anything like that or particularly like any of those things, still consider this description to be the default image of an aussie male.

EXAMPLE - i consider myself AUSSIE first and foremost. but the people i come in contact with at uni, people i deal with at work and the students ive taught look at me as filipino. but even though im nothing like the typical aussie male i can see how that is considered the norm.

if they were to use a bloke who was anything else other than the majority/average/typical male, like an asian/wog/african/arab looking bloke in their place and used imported cars, then I would think (in my own opinion) that they were singling those races out, saying that these are the sorts of people specifically responsable for the speeding that is happening everyday on our roads.

there was a anti drug commercial a few years back that used a lebanese actor as a charactor who was pulled over by the copz and was found to have a small bag of some white substance tucked in his socks, then you see the image of the guy being cuffed. this was just about 5 seconds out of a 30+ second commercial which showed a whole bunch of people with abusing/being caught with drugs... but the advertisers got in sh!te coz it looked like they were singling out the lebanese.

ok i ran out of things to say...

Interesting. I can see this ad being studied a lot further in uni from a marketing perspective..... as a shining example of what NOT to do. It's pathetic. I wonder what the RTA do with their distinction-average graduates that they hire every year. Probably turn them into shovel-leaners. Whoever signed off on these ads and figured they would be effective should be shot.

For $1.9m the NSW Government could've paid me to eat a box of crayons and I would've shat out a better campaign than this.

but how could it possibly cost 2million bux... the Carlton Draught 'mega' add cost i think 1million n it was massive... how on earth could u spend 2million to get one guy to rip a burnout, one guy to drive straight with a dorky smile on his face and another guy throwin a VL with chopped springs a little sideways... man just go krispy kremes liverpool thurs-sat night and there u go free advertising plus original numberplates...

• 3 weeks later...