wiring harnesses

JJCRU23R

gday,

supposedly, wiring harnesses are meant 2 make life easier 4 us when we install aftermarket stereos.. so.. in that case, logically, all aftermarket HUs use the same colours on their wires right?

my question is - are all aftermarket stereos using the same colour wires?

ie: would a yellow wire on a sony HU have the same function of a yellow wire coming out of a pioneer HU?

just in case you were wondering..

im installing my father in laws aftermarket HU into his 1989 mitsubishi delica.. 4wd van.

when he bought it, the HU was a cassette radio that only allowed us to listen to 1 fm station and that got old real quick.

turns out that this HU actually came out of a subaru?!

so i guess i gotta find a wiring harness for a subaru instead of a mitsubishi....

Edited by JJCRU23R

yes all aftermarket hu SHOULD have the same wiring colors...

y buy a harness? just cut n solder the wires... that's the best way to do it all u need is a voltage tester probe screwdriver thingee, or just use a multi-meter

i dont have the time or patience to be soldering and cutting wires that im not even sure what is what.

even with diagrams of the original wires.. im not even sure that they are accurate?

its a 1989 delica... id idnt see any diagrams for anything before 200* or 1998 or something...

if i find the wiring harness then ill solder that together. if not then im gonnna have to pay 4 installation

it's dead eazy u dont even need the wiring diagrams... wat you do is...

get your probe tester and just test all the leads with the headlights OFF and the ignition OFF... you should end up with only one wire that's live the whole time ie connected straight to the battery... that's the memory wire conect it to the YELLOW wire of the hu

then turn the ignition ON and test the leads... you should end up with another wire that's only live when the ignition is on... that's the +power wire... connect it to the RED wire of the hu

then turn the headlights ON and test the leads... you should end up with another wire that's only live when the lights are on... that's the dimmer wire... connect it to the dimmer wire of the hu (not all hu have it, if the hu doesn't have it then just cancel the wire by cutting it and taping it)

then connect the +positive end of the probe to a known power wire (such as the memory wire) and then use the -negative end of the probe to test all the leads... you should end up with only one wire and that's the ground wire... connect it to the BLACK wire of the hu

after the appropriate power wires have been soldered and connected plug in the hu harness to the hu and turn the hu on (note most hu are going to be OFF so you have to press the hu power on yourself because it was unplugged ie the memory has been gone)... anywayz if the hu turns on n it's good, just put the radio on or anything and get the speaker wires... now it's just a game of hit n miss with the rest of the leads... connect the speaker wires to the leads to see which wire is to which speaker and connect them appropriatly

THE END

:D

has this information been written up and pinnwed on the forums already?

ill definately remember that next time i have to do something like this...

would have been useful cos i watched the eldectrician do exactly what you said! i dont have a tester on me and im not bothered to buy 1 up here... we couldnt find a wiring harness this morning.. (not suprising in this part of the world... they sell soldering irons, but no soldering wire!? they sell the audio cables, but no wire cutters?!? ham, no burger?)

so yea my father inlaw had a mate that owns an electronics store and although they dont sell car audio stuff, he knew what he was doing.

they dont sell harnesses up here. theyd rather do things the hard way IE - cut the wires, test em, then a lot of wire twisting, minus the soldering.

anyhoo.. cost bout 350 pesos for installation which equates to less than $10 bucks.

yea it IS the harder way BUT it's the best way... you get wat u pay for i always say... like right now my LED wiring is all messed up n its going haywire because i just twisted n taped i didn't solder, that means i gotta strip everything n redo EVERYTHING... so yea measure twice cut once... do it right

lol we should have like a full pinned up guide of how to install a system, how to tune a system, how to install neons etc etc etc