2zz Oil Questions

Hey guys i changed my oil to redline 5-30 synthetic. It took 4 and a bit quarts. When i check my dip stick after a week or so when the car was cold the oil level had dropped to half and seems to be maintaining that right through. Im thinking i will keep topping it up, but had anyone experienced this before, i dont see any visible oil leak. I know high performance engines burn a little oil. Is this normal with the 2zz?

My 2zz never burns a drop f oil no matter how hard I drive it and I just use the toyota spec stuff. When I ran full synthetic in my 1zz in the mr2 it burnt through the oil just like your saying with your 2zz. So with my experience with full synthetic. I'll never use it. Maybe you could also use a higher viscosity?

after 10,000k's with Castrol Edge (5w-30) it was fine. It wasn't even as black as other people told me. It's a very very very light coloured oil, so it was actually a pain in the **** to read it properly once it was in. Had no issues with it burning.

after 10,000k's with Castrol Edge (5w-30) it was fine. It wasn't even as black as other people told me. It's a very very very light coloured oil, so it was actually a pain in the **** to read it properly once it was in. Had no issues with it burning.

I also run Castrol Edge 5W-30 and find it a very good oil for the price. I also experience the problem when filling up, I now just use measurements to fill up 4.4 liters....

I also run Castrol Edge 5W-30 and find it a very good oil for the price. I also experience the problem when filling up, I now just use measurements to fill up 4.4 liters....

Same here dude lol. I have 3 of the bottles sitting on the bench with the same amount of oil left over lol (yesterday I didn't use as much this time, oil filter again soon methinks as well). Motul, Royal Purple (free plug to xoom) and Castrol are what I'd get. I have NO clue why Toyota were using a heavier graded oil, and magnetec at that when servicing my car. Edge is more suited in terms of the Castrol family.

what are your guys thoughts Castrol Magnetic? that's what I've been using. it seems everyone is using a thinner oil.

Magnatec is fine (you're using 10w-30?). I'm just using Edge because it seems to handle higher temps better. Given that the 2zz revs out to 8,200 I wanted teh uber protection yO lol.

10w-30 reportedly makes the car harder to start on cold, but I think it's bull. 5w or 10w is fine IMO. (The only thing that makes my car kind of hard to start now is the CAI, even then it's just that it takes a bit longer to crank over).