Turbo Advice

The Fire Chief

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as I'm new to the diesel world having just bought a 2.8L Hilux 4x4 in immaculate condition and hardly used. I will be taking it bush on a regular basis but also need it to drive around the city (Canberra). One of my mates bought a similar model which already had a turbo installed. It is definitely the go. I'm hoping to do the same but not spend thousands as I don't have thousands to spend. I'm hoping to get something second hand if possible and maybe install it myself if it is not a huge task. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is involved in the installation procedure and whether it is a bad idea to go second hand.

Very best wishes,

The Chief

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1999 dual cab 4x4 3.0L diesel and have just had a Denco turbo and 2.5" exhaust fitted by Qbyn Diesel. Would highly recommend it. I don't know a lot about diesels either, but from what I could ascertain, the injector pump needs to be adjusted so that the fuel injected matches the new higher airflow levels. They apparently put on pyro (?) meters and exhaust gas meters to do this and also do a visual check for diesel smoke, I think! The turbo is also oil cooled so fairly straight forward to hook it up.

Anyway, the install appears to be fairly straight forward if the turbo and exhaust matches the vehicle. Not sure how hard it would be if it didn't match though. And not sure exactly what parts are needed.

Hope that helps - let me know if you want or need to look at my install to see what is required.

hey guys

i own a 95 model hilux 2.8turbo i installed the kit a year ago with some assistance.when you buy second hand you have to be carful on the wear of the turbo and also make sure the exh manifold isnt cracked.also when installing a aftermarket turbo kit it is makes much more sense to install an anaroid (boost compensator) on your injector pump as it eliminates the use to cut timing chain on pump as the anaroid lets more fuel in as the turbo spools up and then there is no need for all the fuel of take off.

any other question welcome

cheers joey

post-1644-1191757620_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well most of the 2l hiluxs and surfs use the ct20 turbo. u can pick the turbo up on ebay from about 300+ and manifold for about $50? most of the stuff u can get off ebay fairly cheap just keep an eye out