Start-Problems 1992 Camry (Holden Apollo)

youngfam

Hey, we are a young family and have an old Holden Apollo (which is a Toyota Camry, right?)

It looks like this one http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/H...ollo%201989.jpg

Now yesterday my wife was driving and the car did not react on the gas-pedal anymore and stopped

then after - the self-starter is working, makes the machine turning (can see it because the alternator

is moving), but it sounds different to before the problems and the engine doesn't start.

I think it's maybe no energy reaching the sparks, how would you test it and do you

think this can be the reason?

We have no big money to get a mechanican to "just have a look for $80" :-(

Please if you can help, I can even record the sound the machine is making when we attempt to start

if it helps.

Thank you so much in advance,

Dave

PS: Yes there's gas in it ;)

I'd be checking the fuel pump for fuel pressure first off, then check for spark...

Undo the fuel line and crank the engine over, see if fuel pi55es out of the fuel line, if it does, fuel system is ok...

To check the leads for spark, remove them one by one and hold them around an inch away from an earth point on the engine (best one is the lifting hook on the front or back of the engine) and crank the engine over... See if you get spark from the lead to the earth point... If all the leads are ok then your ignition system is ok...

How is the cranking sound different from usual??? Is it faster, slower or does it have a different done, deeper or lighter???

If it's cranking over really fast compared to usual, then your timing belt is most likely snapped...

Just a few simple checks to do...

See how go with that...

I'd be checking the fuel pump for fuel pressure first off, then check for spark...

Undo the fuel line and crank the engine over, see if fuel pi55es out of the fuel line, if it does, fuel system is ok...

To check the leads for spark, remove them one by one and hold them around an inch away from an earth point on the engine (best one is the lifting hook on the front or back of the engine) and crank the engine over... See if you get spark from the lead to the earth point... If all the leads are ok then your ignition system is ok...

How is the cranking sound different from usual??? Is it faster, slower or does it have a different done, deeper or lighter???

If it's cranking over really fast compared to usual, then your timing belt is most likely snapped...

See how go with that...

yup... then if all else fails remove the holden badge :lol:

** just kidding**

might want to check battery terminals and connectors too...

if not electrical... might be fuel contamination.... check the engine oil level just to make sure it has not siezed up due to lack of oil in the engine...

Edited by DJ-CAMRY MCV20

See how go with that...

okay, results :-(

fuel comes out yes

but... no sparks :(

the sound sounds lighter I think, but no guarantee on that but it's not faster I think

now no sparks is bad I guess, what next? (I "love" old cars :( )

I had one of these and the alternator connection broke on it. Check all connections such as that for a loose connection. clean terminals, leads all that sort of thing .

I know it might sound stupid, but how would you check them the best way? And any other ideas? Maybe the ignition distributor? How can I check this one without removing it? (it's really complicated to get to the screws on this one with the screwdriver and they are "tighter than tight" :( )

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I know I haven't posted for long, tough times :(

Now 1 month+ without a car, I don't wish that to anybody with a family (kidz)

I have new plugs -> no sparks :(

now I even got a complete new incognition cap + new leads + new distributor-thingy -> nothing :(

so it seems the electricity is not even getting to the leads - what now?

I am not that familar with cars, but I can fix it, if I know where to look I'm sure,

please help me out guys - where can I find the energy-leak? :( :( :(

I hope you've got more ideas for me, I can post pictures of how it looks inside

of the distributor (with cap removed) if that helps explaining to me.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE - please help to get this old car running for christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

There IS a power source or some kind of wiring loom that connects to the dizzy...? I've never had to look that far to be honest!

Looks like you've spent a lot on replacing things... might be worth getting a mobile mech to have a quick glance and see what he can find... shouldn't cost you too much I'd imagine!