Trip Computer

Hi All

I am planning on installing a trip computer into my corolla (AE102 7AFE seca) but I am having trouble finding anything suitable. It looks like there used to be an Aussie made system called OzTrip but it doesn't seam to be made anymore. Can't find any other similar devices out there either, they are all OBD2 tools which I am pretty sure my car doesn't have (please correct me if I am wrong). It does have a port labled as "Diagnostic" in under the bonnet, can I get any useful info from this.

Basically, what I want is a system that calculates fuel consumption as I drive. Does anyone know of a suitable device?

The OziTrip computer used the injector duty cycle and the vehicle speed to calculate this. So worst case I might have to try to make something myself.

Thanks for any help

Hi All

I am planning on installing a trip computer into my corolla (AE102 7AFE seca) but I am having trouble finding anything suitable. It looks like there used to be an Aussie made system called OzTrip but it doesn't seam to be made anymore. Can't find any other similar devices out there either, they are all OBD2 tools which I am pretty sure my car doesn't have (please correct me if I am wrong). It does have a port labled as "Diagnostic" in under the bonnet, can I get any useful info from this.

Basically, what I want is a system that calculates fuel consumption as I drive. Does anyone know of a suitable device?

The OziTrip computer used the injector duty cycle and the vehicle speed to calculate this. So worst case I might have to try to make something myself.

Thanks for any help

Hi... I too have been looking for a trip compute to put into my Camry 6 (98). True Oztrip no longer makes the unit ( he had trouble sourcing some parts I think) then I saw Scangauge and thought ... there is the solution. Simple connection via the OBD2 port under the dash and presto... a trip computer and more to boot.

Alas.. for me it didn't work because I don't have the right type of OBD2 port.

Do a search on this site for OBD2 or Scanguage to find out more also just google Scanguage 2 for more details. Australian dealer is Wooder's Garage in Sydney (Google for that online site) ... that's where I got mine (and returned it).

If your Corolla has the right port you're in luck.

Cheers

Looks like to diagnostics port only gives errors codes and access to some fault finding/testing functions accoding to the Gregory's service manual. So I would say that scangauge wont be any use.

Will have to try building one myself, I will keep you all posted on how I go (I'm an electronics engineer so shouldn't be TOO much trouble, hopefully!). Anyone got suggestions of things I should include? For starters I will be measuring the pulses to the injectors and the speed pulses to let me calculate fuel consumption. Later I think I will include measuring all signals to the ECU and having a data ouput to a laptop. My plan is to make a device very similar to the Oztrip meter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
yeah sadly Scangauge II wont be compatible with your corolla :(

I have it on my car and it is THE BEST tool for your car :D (tells how many hp the car is producing, intake temp, water temp, coolant temp and tonnes more add-on features)

Got one for my dec 05 build camry 2AZ-FE.

Of course it doesn't work. HOWEVER, I believe the pins just aren't in the right position. THe port is labelled "OBD-II"... There are 8 pins in each row, 2 rows, making 16 pins.

On my car end, looking at the plug, with narrow side of the trapezoidal plug to the top, there are pins in

1, , ,4,5, ,7, ,

9, , , ,13,14,15,16

On the Scanguage end there are pins at

,2, , 4,5,6,7,,

,10, , , ,14,15,16 ,

Beats me but it would seem by extrapolation that pins 1 on the car and 2 on the guage must match, same for pin 9 on the car and 10 on the guage.

also 4,5,7 on the car likely 6,7,8 on the guage

13,14,15,16 on the car likely 12,13,14,15 on the guage

Now, I am determined to make it work but worried about frying my car's brain if i rewire. Also I have no idea of what to do.

You say you have an echo with which it works on, mind checking your car's port for the pin positions?

The scanguage detects that the camry uses to ISO comms standard, and the pin layout on the car confirms this, but it switches itself off after about 1 minute 15 seconds.

Also I recall either 15 or 16 may be the 12V power supply from the battery.

Have alos emailed toyota OZ and scangauge in the US.

Edited by crinkles

yeah sadly Scangauge II wont be compatible with your corolla :(

I have it on my car and it is THE BEST tool for your car :D (tells how many hp the car is producing, intake temp, water temp, coolant temp and tonnes more add-on features)

would it fit on a zze122 then?