Very rough idling

mikesim

I own a 1998 Landcruiser GXL 6 cylinder auto petrol wagon with dual LPG fuel in great condition which has had regular scheduled services. I bought the car second hand in 2002. Its has done 172,000km. About 3 months ago I noticed the car start to shudder when stopped at lights and when idling generally. Whilst driving normally the car is fine, but when stationery it shudders so much it almost feels like it wants to stall. This happens in both petrol and LPR mode. Also, a couple of times when on gas and after accelerating, then breaking and turning, the car has actually stalled, which isnt much fun when travelling at 60km/hr (drop it into neutral and restart!). I took it to a 4x4WD workshop and they couldnt work out what was wrong. Said it might be a sticky valve but they didnt inspire much confidence in their reponse. Has anyone heard of or had a similar problem and could shed some light on how to fix it. Appreciate your comments. Cheers. Mike

Several members here have experienced similar symptoms, but in 1ZZ-FE engined Corollas. Mine used to sit at the lights and shudder as if it was about to stall, and I know Leroy's is currently doing it because he asked me about it the other day. It tends to happen in warmer weather, but I have never heard of it actually stalling whilst moving, that scares me. I can't diagnose the actual problem but what fixed it for me was fitting my cold air intake. Obviously this doesn't suit your application so instead I suggest you have your mass air flow sensor cleaned or replaced, see if that does you any good.

Several members here have experienced similar symptoms, but in 1ZZ-FE engined Corollas. Mine used to sit at the lights and shudder as if it was about to stall, and I know Leroy's is currently doing it because he asked me about it the other day. It tends to happen in warmer weather, but I have never heard of it actually stalling whilst moving, that scares me. I can't diagnose the actual problem but what fixed it for me was fitting my cold air intake. Obviously this doesn't suit your application so instead I suggest you have your mass air flow sensor cleaned or replaced, see if that does you any good.