tyre pressure?

CME-LFT

hi guys, the rims are 17 inch lenso apex 5 i think, and their on a 04 corolla sportivo?

any idea how much psi i should put into the tyres? ive been putting in around 38psi.Anyway thats what i set it to on the digital tyre pressure thing at bp.

If you want those tyres to last leave them at 38 psi, the car will also handle better. 32-34 psi IMO is too low for a 45 or 40 profile tyre.

the optimum you should be running is 34psi. Depending on the brand of tyre give or take 2 psi.

38psi is too high for everyday use. An over inflated tyre will wear just as quick as an underinflated tyre. Also don't forget that each time you drive you car for any distance tyre pressure increase with heat build up by as much as 8psi so running 38psi then add 8psi you end up driving with 46psi in your tyres which i waay too high.

Well i dont have low pro's jsut normal gay tyres but i stick with 32 in the front 36 in the rear as it helps with traction on tight turns or going around corners a wee bit fast lol... But thats just me... My boyfriend does the same to his rolla and he acctully finds that it handles better at 32/36 then have 32 all over.... Anyhow that my opinion...

the optimum you should be running is 34psi. Depending on the brand of tyre give or take 2 psi.

38psi is too high for everyday use. An over inflated tyre will wear just as quick as an underinflated tyre. Also don't forget that each time you drive you car for any distance tyre pressure increase with heat build up by as much as 8psi so running 38psi then add 8psi you end up driving with 46psi in your tyres which i waay too high.

I've always tested cold and hot with my calibrated guage and the highest I've had is 41 psi on a very hot day after a very long hard drive, from 38 psi.

My tyres maximum recommended pressure is 44psi so I'm well within tolerances and not overinflating. I can show you a pic of my tyres that have now done 53,000km's and you will see the wear is completely even from one side to the other.

If you want a soft, smooth ride, you don't get low profile tyres.

I did one of those defensive driving courses down at Sandown racecourse. They recommended putting your tyre pressures up to what the manufacturer recommends for speeds exceeding 140km/h (higher pressure than normal), which for me is 250kPa (just over 36psi). They said not to bother about unequal pressures in the front and rear, but I still put 230kPa (just over 33psi) in the rear as per spec. They said that higher pressures improve grip with the road for handling and braking, as well as very slightly improving fuel economy by reducing rolling resistance, at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

I think 38 is a little high, but I have had it that high myself so I cant exactly complain :P

whatever feels most comfortable to you i think would be the best. You wont get much of a difference in wear between 32 - 38 anyway.

And the theory behind setting lower pressures at the front than the back is a myth, only useful in vehicles where there is lots of weight and the front, and nothing in the back ie Utes.

Low preassure <35psi affects braking as well as cornering. If you have done any driving courses they will demonstrate that its not an even skid mark left on the road ( due to low tyre pressures) because the tyre is more prone to deforming under these braking pressures placed on the tyres.

I do 40psi all seems fine.

Edited by Adrian