1993 Tarago surge

yobedemc

Hi,

I recently bought a 1993 Toyota Tarago - 2.4L Petrol, EFI and have noticed a problem. When i press the accelerator down just slightly the car surges.

I was playing around with the car the other day trying to figure out exactly when this problem occurs. With the car in neutral, I pressed the accelerator down just slightly and noticed that when the revs were held at about 1500 rpm the engine surges (i.e. revs go up and down even though i'm holding my foot steady). This same problem occurs when i'm driving and when this happens it makes for a very jerky drive as if i'm rhythmically pressing and releasing the accelerator. The problem seems to be related to the position of the accelerator rather than speed, load, gear, etc, as it doesn't matter what gear i'm in or what speed i'm doing, when the accelerator is pressed down just slightly the car surges.

I've checked the spark plugs and cleaned them well, I've also done an oil change (including filter) and have changed the air filter (that's all i've done since buying the car).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem???

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I recently bought a 1993 Toyota Tarago - 2.4L Petrol, EFI and have noticed a problem. When i press the accelerator down just slightly the car surges.

I was playing around with the car the other day trying to figure out exactly when this problem occurs. With the car in neutral, I pressed the accelerator down just slightly and noticed that when the revs were held at about 1500 rpm the engine surges (i.e. revs go up and down even though i'm holding my foot steady). This same problem occurs when i'm driving and when this happens it makes for a very jerky drive as if i'm rhythmically pressing and releasing the accelerator. The problem seems to be related to the position of the accelerator rather than speed, load, gear, etc, as it doesn't matter what gear i'm in or what speed i'm doing, when the accelerator is pressed down just slightly the car surges.

I've checked the spark plugs and cleaned them well, I've also done an oil change (including filter) and have changed the air filter (that's all i've done since buying the car).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem???

hi there...

i suspect its a vacuum hose thats cracked or split. an EFI engine reads the amount of manifold pressure/vacuum and alters fuel accordingly. when you nail the engine from idle it will move slightly in its monuts...this may be enough to open the split hose and cause the problem.

cheers

Hi, I own a '93 and it did this once. I put fuel in it from a servo by the sea and later that day it started the power surge thing. I took 4 steps to solve the problem and I'm not sure which one fixed it but it did came right.

1. Poured a whole bottle of fuel system cleaner in, Morey's brand I think.

2. Poured a 1l bottle of methylated spirits into the tank coz it absorbs water.

3. Ran the tank low & re fueled.

4. Disconnected the battery for a while to reset the ECU.

I'm not sure which of these things was the answer but she's been runnin fine for 6 months since.

Good luck,

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

reguardless of what people think of putting metho in your fuel tank to absorb water........water WILL eat anything alloy in a fuel system. thats why car makers put a bung in the lowest part of the tank so you can drain the water out.

my suggestions still stand as per previous post. although resetting the engine management MAY solve SOME of the problems.

have yu replaced the fuel filter??...a slightly blocked fuel filter will also cause problems.

cheers