Accessories advice

Scott_C

Has anyone installed those kinglsey sidesteps? I'm not fond of the Toyota ones.

Hi Duc, Ill be getting my Kluger in the next fortnight, I already have the Bladerunner steps ready to go.

Ill post some pics when I have them fitted to the vehicle.

Cheers,

Scott.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Duc, Ill be getting my Kluger in the next fortnight, I already have the Bladerunner steps ready to go.

Ill post some pics when I have them fitted to the vehicle.

Cheers,

Scott.

great, Would love to see em.

Has anyone else seen the foot steps on the toyota.com (usa website)? Wonder if we can get them imported? I like that as they don't come out

too much.

I would be interested to know what is involved as well. I am getting the Toyota ones fitted next week and two dealers have quoted me between 2.25 to 3 hours to have them installed. Sounds like a really long time as I thought it was just bolted on. Maybe they just over estimate so they can cross charge more (it was meant to be delivered with my car, but they didn't have stock)...Saw some aftermarket ones and it was advertised as "easy to install".

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested to know what is involved as well. I am getting the Toyota ones fitted next week and two dealers have quoted me between 2.25 to 3 hours to have them installed. Sounds like a really long time as I thought it was just bolted on. Maybe they just over estimate so they can cross charge more (it was meant to be delivered with my car, but they didn't have stock)...Saw some aftermarket ones and it was advertised as "easy to install".

I had a look at these aftermarker nudge bards and side steps, but after looking at the price and the quality of the toyota ones, im going genuine for these and the towbar. The side steps for example look like they would protect the car very well, maybe not from car doors, but it has been fully tested to not interfere with the side and curtain airbags.

The stereo that comes on the kxs is the $1000 after market option for the kxr, but i think they are hard to use, the volume button is so close the the side my fingers will have trouble turning it up or down.

Going to look at an after market one myself, so maybe later this year i will have a near new one for sale! Got to order one first.

By the way, how long did yours take for delivery?

Update:

I priced a Hayman-Reece tow bar today, the dealer confirmed that they do in fact make the tow bars for Toyota Australia. Price quoted for the whole assembly, including wiring harness, fitting and lifetime warranty - $493

I may even find it cheaper, thats the first Hayman-reece dealer Ive been to.

I purchased my tow bar complete with new plastic molding from Toyota ( for trade price) for around $550 and fitted it one afternoon with a friend....Yes they are a rip off just for a piece of molded plastic and metal

Yes they are a rip off just for a piece of molded plastic and metal

I like how people think that a bit of plastic and metal should cost $50 at Simsmetal rates. If it was such a rip off, an arc welder and a dremel can fix that.

That is sooo true..............

No one is saying it should cost $50.

But $750 for a trailer hitch is a rip off in my opinion.

Hayman Reece make one hitch to suit the 08 Kluger, and one hitch to err... suit the 08 Kluger - WITH the Toyota name on it.

And the difference in price is roughly $250.

Im all for paying for good quality products, but I resent that Toyota outsource this stuff and then slap a premium on it. Their side steps are almost $1000 fitted, thats just nuts.

Yes they are a rip off just for a piece of molded plastic and metal

I like how people think that a bit of plastic and metal should cost $50 at Simsmetal rates. If it was such a rip off, an arc welder and a dremel can fix that.

Unfortunatley dont have either tool, so I had to pay the Toyota rate with out the labour rates! :spiteful:

Hayman Reece make one hitch to suit the 08 Kluger, and one hitch to err... suit the 08 Kluger - WITH the Toyota name on it.

Im all for paying for good quality products, but I resent that Toyota outsource this stuff and then slap a premium on it. Their side steps are almost $1000 fitted, thats just nuts.

As said earlier, Hayman Reese CANNOT copy the genuine Toyota bar. They are licensed to make the Toyota bar but cannot sell it as their own so your misconception that Hayman Reese = Toyota genuine bar is sadly, incorrect.

As said earlier, Hayman Reese CANNOT copy the genuine Toyota bar. They are licensed to make the Toyota bar but cannot sell it as their own so your misconception that Hayman Reese = Toyota genuine bar is sadly, incorrect.

Your simplifying my post. I never said that Hayman Reece = Toyota Genuine.

I realise that Hayman Reece make one tow bar to suit 08 Kluger and make one with a different design that is Toyota Genuine.

Its the fact that the SAME company make a tow bar for the SAME car. Yet one of those tow bars is roughly 30% dearer.

I concede that there is extra expense in making a specially designed tow bar for Toyota, but I get shirty when Toyota dealers tell me how special 'their' tow bar is, and that I shouldnt get any other.

Your simplifying my post. I never said that Hayman Reece = Toyota Genuine.

I realise that Hayman Reece make one tow bar to suit 08 Kluger and make one with a different design that is Toyota Genuine.

Its the fact that the SAME company make a tow bar for the SAME car. Yet one of those tow bars is roughly 30% dearer.

I concede that there is extra expense in making a specially designed tow bar for Toyota, but I get shirty when Toyota dealers tell me how special 'their' tow bar is, and that I shouldnt get any other.

Note that Toyota done some R&D for all genuine accessories..................

Also,difference dealer charges for genuine or Hayman Reece is much less than 30%

Really R&D -_- or searching the best cost price to rip us off.

For something like a tow bar maybe it is worth while, but roof mounting for bicycles or side steps I think I will go aftermarket

Really R&D -_- or searching the best cost price to rip us off.

For something like a tow bar maybe it is worth while, but roof mounting for bicycles or side steps I think I will go aftermarket

Rip you off ? Its two products with different price and you have a choice to chose........

Side steps ? $ 710 fitted @ dealer.

Go to spare parts and buy them for 450 and fit them yourself (30min job max)

Towbar? $

RRP $427 (trade 360) + aftermarket harness(same as they fit with H Reece) $25,no shroud ,fit it yourself(30min max)

I agree that dealer fitted price is high but thinhs can have had genuine for much cheaper price.

When petrol price or similar goes up and you dont have a choice.......thats rip off.

Cheers

When petrol price or similar goes up and you don't have a choice.......thats rip off.

Cheers

No thats a necessity and a fact of life we cant do with out! Remember Needs and Wants at school :unsure:

Edited by PC XT

No thats a necessity and a fact of life we cant do with out! Remember Needs and Wants at school :unsure:

Sure you can. It's called walking or public transport. You just make it a no choice option because you can't make it not-a-fact-of-life. Driving is a want, not a need. You won't die without driving and one can find work without driving.

I'm not complaining about fuel prices.... actually it's good now people think a bit more about where and how they should be going rather than jumping into a car and going down the road.

Towbar? $

RRP $427 (trade 360) + aftermarket harness(same as they fit with H Reece) $25,no shroud ,fit it yourself(30min max)

Where are you getting these prices? Ive been quoted $650 for the tow bar assembly at three different dealers - without fitting.

If I can get a Toyota Genuine Tow Bar for $427 + aftermarket harness, Ill dam well buy it!

Towbar? $

Where are you getting these prices? Ive been quoted $650 for the tow bar assembly at three different dealers - without fitting.

If I can get a Toyota Genuine Tow Bar for $427 + aftermarket harness, Ill dam well buy it!

650 just for towbar ?

THat is RRP for towbar + replacement shroud + harness with control module (towbar itself is 427)

Where i'm getting prices ?

Of my computer.............. (i work for one of biggest Toyota dealerships in Sydney)

650 just for towbar ?

Please reread my post. I said tow bar assembly. So perhaps I was right in the first place? (when you disagreed with my saying there is a 30% price difference)

Hayman Reece tow bar (with all wiring etc and fitment) - $493 with a lifetime warranty.

Toyota tow bar assembly with fitting - is somewhere around $700+??

Of my computer.............. (i work for one of biggest Toyota dealerships in Sydney)

Yes, I kind of guessed you might. :P

I'd like to know the extent of that "lifetime warranty". Wonder if it covers the car if it cracks the rails?

I'll give a lifetime warranty on my comments... but would that persuade you to believe me on at least the towbar? most likely not.

650 just for towbar ?

Please reread my post. I said tow bar assembly. So perhaps I was right in the first place? (when you disagreed with my saying there is a 30% price difference)

Hayman Reece tow bar (with all wiring etc and fitment) - $493 with a lifetime warranty.

Toyota tow bar assembly with fitting - is somewhere around $700+??

Yes, I kind of guessed you might. :P

If you read MY post again you will see price of TOWBAR ONLY (427).Now,walk in any Repco,Autobarn or Super Cheap and get harness for 25 buck.Modify bar to suit and there you go 452 dolars only.Pay someone 50 bucks to fit and there you go...............502 dollars only..........

Its really your call which one you will get.

Most of dealers will fit you any aftermarket towbar assembly you want incl. HR (500 fitted).

Now,what some of you guys maybe dont know or dont care.................harness.

Its harness what makes big price difference between aftermarket and genuine ($25 vs $150).

Warranty..........with all honesty you"ll never have issue with any towbar you choose.

Its harness........aftermarket ones are soldered or in most cases just cliped into taillight assembly.

Genuine has module included and its direct plug in.Keep in mind that all new cars are packed with electronics what makes them very sensitive.

One faulty trailer can create havoc............i seen that.

I want you to understand that i'm not here to sell you this or that.I'm just fellow Kluger owner who has bit of inside info and want to share or advice other fellow Kluger owners.

If you really want advice my advice is : get ANY towbar you want..........they are ALL going to last much longer than car itself. But,use genuine harness (because aftermarket warranties cover towbar itself but no electric faults).

Only problem with that ............it will make genuine and aftermarket price almost the same...............

Cheers