Neon Help - Neons dont work with headlights on!! :(

Ben^

Hi guys, my girlfriend recently bought a toyota paseo and i have installed 2 x green neons in the boot which have simply just been tapped into off the boot light which turns on when boot is opened, they work fin, a new head unit and 4 new speakers.

Heres my problem, this is my first underdash neon wire up. I have tapped into the back of the cig lighter and simply attached a On/Off switch on the dash beside the steering wheel. Now the neons work with the keys in the ignigtion which is what I/We want but when the headlights are turned on the neons stop working even with the switch still in the On position and when you turn the headlights off the neons work again. This is a problem as u mainly want the neons on when the headlights are on lol. I really have no idea why this is happening specially when i've tapped into the cig lighter not the headlights wire under the dash. Is it possible that the neons are drawing to much power?? i didnt think they did but could it be my connections?? i am a bit startled..

Any help would be much appreciated and make me not look like a dumbass infront of the missus lol..

Cheers guys :)

I would assume that when the headlights are turned on, the cigarette lighter also lights up? Hence, there is an issue with either the wiring to the cig lighter or to the switch.

Edit: Maybe the polarity of the wires is wrong? Just a thought

you have used the illumination wire as the ( passive ) earth for the neon light.

when the headlights are switched on, the illumination wire becomes a positive and therefore the Neon Switches off.

Run your earth wire for the neon to a suitable earth point ie: other wire on cigarette lighter or direct to a screw behind the dash

Problem Solved.

Thanks "Bye Evo" i'll give that other wire a go..

So just gotta connect it back to the other negative / the one that doesnt turn into a positive when headlights are on lol..

Will give it a shot 2moro, thanks for the help guys much appriciated :)