knocking noise..

ddot

hey guys,

just wondering if anyone can help with some prices. went and looked at a 1986 celica today, and as id turn a corner there was a knocking sound, my dad said that it was the cv joints. just wondering about how much they would cost to get replaced?

everything else with the car was pretty nice, so i was pretty disappointed to hear the noise.

is there anything else that could make a similar noise that i should worry about?

any ideas on prices of these to be replaced?

Edited by ddot

is the noise coming from the opposite side of the way your turning (passenger side when turning right)? mine only did it when in 3/4 lock or full lock going slowly (under 50). not sure how much it cost because i got it fixed with a lot of other things at the same time (decided to cut labor time and get everything that looks like it will be replaced within a year to be replaced while the car is apart).

Hi ddot,

The noise you describe is almost certainly a bad CV joint (or two). Front wheel-drive cars have them on their two front wheels. If the noise is coming from the front, it's almost certain it's because of them. You can work out whether you need to replace one or two by getting someone to listen closely to both sides as you turn.

There is a bit of expense getting them replaced. It's far cheaper to replace the entire half-axle than it is trying to pull the joint apart. I was able to get a second-hand one for $100 plus about an hour's labour, so look towards $200 for one or $300-400 for both.

Edited by Keisari

• 2 weeks later...

It costed me $800 to replace my RHS CV Joint when I was replacing my gearbox a couple years ago.

couple months ago, it costed me $550 to replace my LHS CV Joint.

what a ripoff!

Edit: they were new parts btw

Edited by champ

It costed me $800 to replace my RHS CV Joint when I was replacing my gearbox a couple years ago.

couple months ago, it costed me $550 to replace my LHS CV Joint.

what a ripoff!

Edit: they were new parts btw

Ouch......If that Toyota Genuine Parts is OK but if that after market one,than it is really really Rip Off since CV joint Trade price only $87 from Burson

• 2 months later...

look closely at the driveshafts. you will notice that they aren't the same length. also the long one has a steel ring with a rubber centre...this is to absorb harmonics in the longer shaft.

this would explain the cost difference between the shafts.

cheers