Handbrake Help

Hi, :help: I have inherited my Dads 1991 SX21 Toyota Camry Wagon which was driven by a friend who reefed the handbrake on and now there is very little handbrake....seems like the cable is stretched??? I have heard that you can adjust it at the handle, is that right? if so, can anyone out there enlighten me please? :D Thank you

post-7754-1206600644_thumb.jpg

Dont adjust it at the handbrake lever! Adjust the brake shoes (for drum brake rear) or handbrake shoes (for disc brake rear) and then and only then adjust slightly at the handbrake lever!

You may actually need to back off the adjustment at the handbrake lever to start with because lazy ****d people have already tried adjusting it from there before you :P

you will need to inspect the handbrake cable for any damage as it is an old car, signs of splitting etc. 91 model should be using the rear drum and shoes setup, need to take of the drum and inspect the shoes if they are low, as they are also your rear brakes! if it is okay, adjust from the drums then adjust any slack on the cable, you never really touch the cable but you never who's played around with it before. since the earlier models, i find toyota's have had very good handbrake setups, fully utilizing the handbrake within 2-3 clicks if adjusted properly