Engine Noise...detonation?

willcvl

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a problem with my 95 Toyota Camry (2.2l, 4cyl) that i bought 2nd hand 2 years ago and i hope someone can help me out here. The car has done 164,000KM. The engine is quiet and smooth at idle but would make a strange noise during hard acceleration or when going up a hill. I noticed the noise only occurs when the engine is at operating temperature, not when it’s cold. I suspect I have a detonation problem as the noise sounds like “marbles rolling inside the engine”.

The first thing I did was to check the ignition timing. According to Gregory's (Service and repair manual)the ignition timing should be 10 degree BTDC, with the check connector terminals E1 and TE1 connected. I found that the ignition timing was 10 degree BTDC WITHOUT the terminals E1 and TE1 connected. Obviously someone must have played around with the ignition timing previously. I adjusted the timing accordingly but the problem didn’t go away.

Next I tried to use premium fuel. The engine sounds quieter but it still “pings” sometimes, especially on hot days above 30 degreeC. The fuel consumption is pretty good at 9.3L/100km average and there is no noticeable difference between regular and premium fuels.

The other strange thing I noticed is the ignition timing is about 5 degrees BTDC at idle with terminal E1 and TE1 disconnected. According to Gregory's, the ignition timing should advance to 13-22 degrees BTDC when the terminal E1 and TE1 are disconnected at idle.

I am at a lost of what the real problem is. Do you think I have a detonation problem? If yes, what can I do to fix it? If no, what could be the problems? Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

willcvl

Hello?? Anyone out there? :blink: No one has responded to my problems. Why? Anyway, i posted the same problems on a U.S forum (www.2carpros.com) and i got this response "Check your EGR system might not be opening causing the detonation/Pinging". I did a bit of research on EGR system and it seemed to make sense. But then I realised I have another problem.....my 4cyl 95 camry doesn't seem to have EGR system on it. Anyone has any idea?

have you got it set to 10deg BTDC or ATDC? probably a stupid question as it would run like crap when set incorrectly by that much.

How's the oil consumption? have you checked the spark plugs for any signs of fouling as that will give you a clue to the condition of you engine.

have you got it set to 10deg BTDC or ATDC? probably a stupid question as it would run like crap when set incorrectly by that much.

How's the oil consumption? have you checked the spark plugs for any signs of fouling as that will give you a clue to the condition of you engine.

I am very sure the timing is set at 10 degree BTDC. The groove on the crankshaft pulley lines up with the 10 degree mark on the lower timing belt cover (for no.1 cylinder of course). The only dodgy thing about the timing is the 5 degrees advance at idle instead of the 13-22 degrees (with terminals E1 and TE1disconnected) as specified in Gregory's. I don't know if resetting the ECU would help to correct this problem.

There's no obvious oil consumption problem. I check the oil regularly, i never have to top up the oil and the oil remains at pretty much the same level all the time. The spark plugs look all right, no sign of fouling at all. In fact the spark plugs look like they are running a bit hot. which is an indication that detonation exists. May be the air/fuel mixture is a bit lean? what can i do to confirm that?

Apart from the noise, the car is perfect. start the first time every time and i have not spend a dime on it apart from normal servicing and things like that.

Does anyone know anything about the EGR system? anyone with the I4 gen3 camry with similar problems?