KYB Shocks

rolla_05

Hi guys,

My name is Daniel and im new to TOCA. IV got a 05 corolla Accent sport and want to lower it. I’m thinking of getting King spring lows, but iv noticed there is a lot of debate about using lows in the front and super lows in the back!!! What’s your opinion on this and does anyone have pics to show how the car sits with the low and super low combination.

Car sits level whether or not it's a Sportivo or Ascent. I have done 4 Corolla's like this now and the difference between front and back is roughly 3mm. Are you going to run aftermarket shocks? Cause on stock shocks the difference will be hard to notice cause they start to sag in a short period of time.

As for pics i don't have my car anymore but PM T money as he has them and would prolly have pics.

Carlo you're on stock shocks right?? And the amount of time you have had them in your car they have prolly started to sag as it is usually the rear that start to go before the fronts. Hence why your car looks like it sits level.

If you want to make your Commodore sedan,wagon, ute, Falcon etc sit level you don't put lows all round. you have to mix and match between super lows and lows to get the car to sit dead level not just "look" level. I applied this to my Sportivo at my suspension wholesalers workshop who do work for the likes of Ed Ordinskyi, set up Peter Brock's Volvo from the super tourer days as well as the VR Commodores he did the round Australia trails in. Add to that some of the current best privateer rally teams in the QRC/ARC and a heap of circuit cars that are leading their categories. They also do a hell of a lot of research for King springs, Koni, Eibach to make the products suitable for Australian road conditions so I'm pretty sure they know exactly what they're doing.

The difference on my sportivo with koni's and kings lows all round was 15mm front to rear. So putting super lows in the rear(50mm drop) and having the lows in the front(35mm drop) means that the car now sits level. This was tested and measured by their suspension Techs then passed onto King springs for their information much the same as they did with lowering Commodore's and Falcons.

T_Money has a Levin in which we did the same thing. Fitted Koni's and the lows in the front and super lows in the rear. His car sits dead level and then handling improved as it did in my car. The heavier spring rate in the rear works wonders when cornering hard as it holds the car a lot more level and won't allow it to kneel on the inside rear wheel like it used to and unload the outside front wheel.

At the end of the day the decision is yours and it is your car. You can believe pics of cars that look level and may do so or believe someone who has consulted the experts and done the extensive homework, implemented it on their car and a few others for excellent results in handling improvements and not just entirely based on looks.

Yes it does. Stock shocks will gradually over time get softer and softer on lowered springs till the car has next to no control when you hit a bump/dip. You hit a bump/dip and the car will bounce maybe 2 to 3 times before it settles down. On aftermarket shocks it will be controlled.

On something that is just a straight OEM replacement like KYB's it will be like driving on brand new shocks with your lowered springs. These will last longer than the OEM units. If you go for something like the adjustable Koni's you can adjust how firm or soft you want the ride to be. On the softest setting koni's will ride like stock suspension but with a lowered stance. If you stiffen them up it will still ride nicely but the ride will be a little firmer and a lot more controlled and sharp. Handling will be more precise and you will have more road feel as to what the car is doing in relation to the surface you are driving on.

I only had my tyres touch on one bump in Brissy on a street near my house. Was prolly going a bit quick say about 90-100 on a corner with sign saying 50. Big right hander that goes down hill into a gully with a sharp dip right at the bottom of the gully then starts to striaghten up on exit. Tyres just touched on the wheel arches but under serious cornering like that i wasn't surprised. Never had it touch with people in the back tho...

Thanks heaps silvabullet!!! Id love a set of Koni but might be a little out of my price range. Do you know a rough price for kings springs and some KYB's (or any other brand) supplied and fitted? Am i close by saying $800.

My plan is to lower the car with kings, either get some new shocks at the same time or wait for the stock one's to wear out. What you think? After that il then put a nice set of 17's on.

damn... i got qouted $1200 + gst for Teins and kyb's fitted, and $1100 for kings and kyb's...

is this too much?? should i keep shopping???

i'd get them done at the same time if they cost only $800....

other wise i have to go for the spring first..

Ummm... Why not just carry on the conversation in your other thread???? :huh:

damn... i got qouted $1200 + gst for Teins and kyb's fitted, and $1100 for kings and kyb's...

Ohhhh really!!! I didnt think it would be that much. Where in melbourne did you get the quote from? I haven't shopped around yet.

Speak to John or Corey at Protek Tyres in Oakleigh, they will look after you on price and do a good job, a number of Melbourne members have had work done there.

(03) 9569 0834