Too Scared Change gears now.

Freakster

I have heard of this. My housemate's ex bf was a racer so he did show this to me on a RAV4. But I won't be trying it any time soon because my gearbox already have so much ***** in it.

Still shifts notchy although it is getting a bit better. I have redline shockproof lightweight in it at the moment and the next time I do a service, I'm going to drain it again and put Redline MT90 as someone in the forum suggested.

:D

in the begining some gearboxes were separate to the engine. they were three speed crash boxes. this meant they needed to double clutch each any every gear. they were simple and tough.

as technology and materials developed so did gearboxes. todays passenger vehicles have the most advanced gearboxes.....they have internal oil pumps and even oil coolers. they have been designed to make cog swapping easier for the driver and hence make driving more enjoyable.

this came about due to the advent of "synchro rings" they have small teeth on their outer edge and a taper on one side. they work by pushing the taper into the respective gear you want and slow it down until the teeth engage the gear. they are simple and work effectively.

however.......

there are gearboxes in modern vehicles that you don't need a clutch to change. they have 2 counter shafts instead of one. they vary in the number of gears they have....from 8 to 18. they are as tough as they come they are designed and built heavy to cope with up to 620hp and over 2000 pounds of torque. they are also "timed".

they are the eaton roadranger gearbox.

you will find these gearboxes in all modern heavy trucks. they work by using a "sliding clutch" between each gear. to change them without a clutch you need to match your road speed with your engine speed. once you get this right it will slide straight into the next gear. no clutch needed. the roadranger gearbox have been around for many years and have evolved greatly. the latest innovation is the "autoshift" range. these gearboxes are computer controlled and work in conjunction with modern computer controlled engines. you still have a clutch pedal on the floor....but instead of a normal gearstick you have an automatic type shifter. to use them you take off and stop as per a manual vehicle with the clutch. after that the gearbox changes by itself with no need for a clutch....the computer management does it all for you.

so as you have read there are two distinct and totally different gearbox types used in modern vehicles. the roadranger or "crash" gearbox whre you can get away with not needing a clutch.....and the "synchro" type gearbox where you NEED to use a clutch. if you constantly use a synchro gearbox without using a clutch to "unload" it you WILL end up with most of the synchro teeth in the bottom of the gearbox.

as a side note...synchro rings are generally machined from an alloy of brass. the actual gears of the box are made of an alloy of steel. and as murphy's law dictates to us...the softer material will wear first.

hope this sheds some light for you all

cheers