Can I fit 3 child restraints **UPDATE**

Iwantone

Hubby and I are looking to purchase a 7 seater. The main criteria is that we can fit 3 child restraints safely in the 2nd row (dont want to use 3rd row on daily basis). We have narrowed our choices to a Ford Territory or a Toyota Kluger with the Kluger being our #1 pick.

Does anyone currently have 3 restraints in a Kluger?. How does that work with the middle "seat" (if you could call it that) in the second row? Some reviews I have read say that you are unable to use a child restraint in the centre position though the local dealer said this was fine

Also does anyone know if its safe to use a child restraint in the 2nd row with the curtain airbags. One minute the saleperson was telling me that car seat covers will interfere with the functioning of the airbags then in the next breath said it was fine to use a child restraint, even if it did overlap the side of the seat a little?.

One more question :rolleyes: How do you find the comfort of the middle seat in the 2nd row. It looks awful though was OK when I sat there for a few minutes at the car yard. Not sure how it will be in the future when I want one of my children to sit there for any length of time (once they are out of child seats of course). Still a little ****** at Toyota for not atleast having the option of a "3" full seats in the 2nd row. This would make it our perfect car.

Hope you guys can help with some honest answers

Thanks

Edited by Iwantone

Hubby and I are looking to purchase a 7 seater. The main criteria is that we can fit 3 child restraints safely in the 2nd row (dont want to use 3rd row on daily basis). We have narrowed our choices to a Ford Territory or a Toyota Kluger with the Kluger being our #1 pick.

Does anyone currently have 3 restraints in a Kluger?. How does that work with the middle "seat" (if you could call it that) in the second row? Some reviews I have read say that you are unable to use a child restraint in the centre position though the local dealer said this was fine

Also does anyone know if its safe to use a child restraint in the 2nd row with the curtain airbags. One minute the saleperson was telling me that car seat covers will interfere with the functioning of the airbags then in the next breath said it was fine to use a child restraint, even if it did overlap the side of the seat a little?.

One more question :rolleyes: How do you find the comfort of the middle seat in the 2nd row. It looks awful though was OK when I sat there for a few minutes at the car yard. Not sure how it will be in the future when I want one of my children to sit there for any length of time (once they are out of child seats of course). Still a little ****** at Toyota for not atleast having the option of a "3" full seats in the 2nd row. This would make it our perfect car.

Hope you guys can help with some honest answers

Thanks

Honest answers: :unsure:

I don't have 3 children (and decide never will), but I have put the 2 baby seats next to each other (middle and right). The middle one is not fitting well.

In fact when the 2 seats are on the sides, the only one can seat comforably is my skinny sister in law, or my wife and they are size 6, 5"2. I had my 3.5 yo in the booster in the middle and SHE LOVES the middle centre premier seating for the DVD player :rolleyes:

Curtain airbags are totally safe for child restrains. The sensor is not on the seat and it will affect the "function" of airbags.... there are still plenty of rooms for the bag to expand. Curtain comes from the B pillar of the car not the seats?? :blink:

Thanks so much for your response. Why does the child seat not sit well in the middle? Is it due to the width and or design of the centre seat? The width of the new Kluger is the same as my Commodore so I know that we will fit the 3 seats in (just!) .

I have read some people have trouble with the straps holding the booster in sliding down the sides of the centre seat though have discovered this can be fixed by placing the strap under the headrest.

Might have to turn up to my local dealer with all 3 seats and give it a go. Might be hard as we will most likely not be buying our car through them. We really want a Kluger over the Territory but this whole 2nd row seat issue is making it very hard for us!.

Thanks again.

The seat is tilted to the side because the shoulders of the both seats touches each other (both are now forward facing). If we had 2 seats with slightly narrower shoulder than it is not a problem. On top of my head, the older girl is sitting on a Safe-n-sound Maxi rider, but not sure the younger one is using, just one of the Safe-n-sound one.

The seat is tilted to the side because the shoulders of the both seats touches each other (both are now forward facing). If we had 2 seats with slightly narrower shoulder than it is not a problem. On top of my head, the older girl is sitting on a Safe-n-sound Maxi rider, but not sure the younger one is using, just one of the Safe-n-sound one.

Ah there might still be hope for me then :clap: I know that when buying a seat for my eldest son a Maxi Rider was too wide so I found an Infa brand seat which has all the features but is alot narrower. This was the only way to get all 3 seats in my current car. About to purchase a second Infa seat.

Will definately try them in a car before I buy though

Thanks

Ah there might still be hope for me then :clap: I know that when buying a seat for my eldest son a Maxi Rider was too wide so I found an Infa brand seat which has all the features but is alot narrower. This was the only way to get all 3 seats in my current car. About to purchase a second Infa seat.

Will definitely try them in a car before I buy though

Thanks

I have only one in a booster still and he sits either side never centre, my wife purchase a new booster for him when we purchased the car it has a useful Velcro shoulder strap for the safety belt that the old one never had. We had a Berlina wagon originally there is defiantly more leg room and Luxury in the rear and my 10 year old doesn't mind the narrow middle seat! I hate it, but I never sit in the back. :spiteful:

Hope it helps

[

I have only one in a booster still and he sits either side never centre, my wife purchase a new booster for him when we purchased the car it has a useful Velcro shoulder strap for the safety belt that the old one never had. We had a Berlina wagon originally there is defiantly more leg room and Luxury in the rear and my 10 year old doesn't mind the narrow middle seat! I hate it, but I never sit in the back. :spiteful:

Hope it helps

Thanks for that. We are maybe wondering if as the children wont know any different they might not care. Could always bribe them if it became an issue. :whistling:

Thanks again

Visited our local dealer yesterday. We can fit 3 child restraints in the back :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: . They all sit quite nicely. Took our first drive in a Kluger as well and Hubby and I have now decided will for sure Kluger over Territory. Nice to have finally made a decision.

They offered us a KX-R, 2WD, 7 Seater in Graphite for 40K on the road. This includes the trade in of my poor old VR Commodore with 258,000 on the clock. Good deal?. Its only the base model but compared to what I drive now, pure luxury :D

Will have a look around before saying yes, check out our options.

Thanks

They offered us a KX-R, 2WD, 7 Seater in Graphite for 40K on the road. This includes the trade in of my poor old VR Commodore with 258,000 on the clock. Good deal?.

We picked up a 7 seater KX-R, 2WD demo, with front and rear parking sensors, mats, towbar, headlight protectors, 4 months rego and the next service free for $38,500.

They offered us a KX-R, 2WD, 7 Seater in Graphite for 40K on the road. This includes the trade in of my poor old VR Commodore with 258,000 on the clock. Good deal?.

We picked up a 7 seater KX-R, 2WD demo, with front and rear parking sensors, mats, towbar, headlight protectors, 4 months rego and the next service free for $38,500.

Would love to find a deal like that. Have been thinking about parking sensors, might be handy with a big car. Hubby refuses to buy a car if they dont throw in some mats!!!!! Have made a few calls looking for a demo model to bring price down but no luck so far.