Rav4 Transmission Problems?

rav4andrew

well last night this happened to me as i was driving home .. it felt like it was just revving and no power then clunk it starts going..

have my car at the local mechanics now .. gonna pay 900 for a new ecu .. i'll see what happens after and let you guys know

Hi again

I took the car back to Hi tech in Alexandria and they allegedly checked everything - the filter had been changed not long ago ( finally looked at my log book :-)) )- was given the all clear - so was told the transmission had got damaged ( 4 days of driving it!!!)....anyway, I am not convinced about what I am getting told, particularly, by anyone! but will try to find a minute soon and phone Toyota to follow up my complaint of many months ago....it is sounding like a tractor these days and gets up to 40kms when driving up a hill - had to drive up Mt Ousley recently and had my heart in my mouth- max speed about 50km and it felt like it was failing - was grateful for a bit of flat road at the top! Did you see Toyota recalled yet ANOTHER model of car not long ago - I have lost count of how many models they have recalled.

• 3 months later...

I know this discussion was a while ago now, but I have been experiencing these same problems. Has anyone managed to get any assistance from Toyota with fixing this? there was a class action in USA and Toyota fixed them.

I replaced the transmission filter and fluid thinking that transmission was the problem, then I did some research and realised the transmission is something that the disfunctioning ECU affects!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

If you have a RAV4 with transmission issues its the ecu that's the culprit. Don't go changing the transmission oil and strainer/filter thinking it'll rectify the problem, save that for when you hange out the ECU.

Some sites will tell you to just change the ECU and it'll fix the problem, that's not always the case, if the transmission is slipping and thumping into gears and you keep driving it anyway , it will damage the transmission and changing the ECU alone won't fix it.

If you guys need help or advice, Don't be shy , I'm more than happy to help. I'm a Fully trained and qualified Toyota technician. We fix these cars and problems on a daily basis.

hi K-wow

Thanks for posting here....after having a new ECU put in, the oil etc checked ( it had all been changed about 1 year or so before and was in good order) and then 10 momths later having to get the transmission fixed- and the car is STILL gutless - max speed up a hill - about 55k's, ( plus phone calls to Toyota ) I am obviously very upset with Toyota

Its a pity Toyota Head Office or those super clever marketing guys - you know those ones that came up with 'oh what a feeling' haven't posted here offering some help. No, they just take our money and leave getting killed or sent bust to us. Nice company. Sneaky too. Sneaky because they have known since at least 2006 about the problem.

Oh what a feeling indeed.

Its a pity Toyota Head Office or those super clever marketing guys - you know those ones that came up with 'oh what a feeling' haven't posted here offering some help.

This Website has no association with Toyota. So there is little to no chance of that ever happening.

Hi Trent

However, just like you and me, I'll bet they are reading these posts. Which means they could post a message - just like anyone can.

If they aren't reading these posts, they should sack the marketing guys because they are not doing their ' image' job properly :-)

Its simple - post a message saying '"please contact so and so at Toyota head Office on PH..... and we will resolve your issues"....that took 30 seconds or less to type

Hi jb,

If you've had the ecu and transmission overhauled it shouldn't be gutless, could be something else ? If it is transmission related there should be warranty from the time it got fixed?

I've heard of some people only having to pay for the labour part of the fix and Toyota pays for parts. But that was because they had full service history with Toyota. realistically it's a 10+ year old car, chances of havin a full service history with Toyota is very unluckily

• 7 months later...

Hello, 

My name is Simon and I arrived in Australia a month ago. I was about to buy a rav4 edge 2002 with 190ks in Perth, when I read all this.

So now obviously I'm thinking about finding another car, but I have a few questions before that, because I was quite interested with this one. 

This car would come with a one year warranty which apparently should cover the ecu/transmission problems.

I'm only in Oz for a year or two and need a car to drive long distances, in the bush and everything and I'm looking for a proper car to do that (as many, we're probably gonna do a road trip at some point). 

I haven't checked in the book if the ecu got changed yet, but even so, do you think the problem could happen again with a new ecu? 

I don't know a lot about cars and I clearly won't be able to pay this amount if the problems were to happen after this 1st year of use.

Do you have any recommendations ? I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi Simon

I would recommend you get in writing any/all  representations made . There have been so many Toyota RAV4's with this problem its not funny!

Maybe take the car somewhere to get the computer checked - a reading might show up problems you should know about

It seems to me that once the computer goes, the transmission is not far behind - even with a new computer.

Someone suggested replacing the fuel filter on my car to see if that helps make it go faster up hill..haven't done it yet as a Merc smashed into it last November!!!!

11 minutes ago, jb1411 said:

Hi Simon

I would recommend you get in writing any/all  representations made . There have been so many Toyota RAV4's with this problem its not funny!

Maybe take the car somewhere to get the computer checked - a reading might show up problems you should know about

That's actually a really good idea, I'll probably have the car checked. Haven't tried to drive the car yet but I guess if the problem is already there, I will feel it pretty quickly right ?

11 minutes ago, jb1411 said:

It seems to me that once the computer goes, the transmission is not far behind - even with a new computer.

Someone suggested replacing the fuel filter on my car to see if that helps make it go faster up hill..haven't done it yet as a Merc smashed into it last November!!!!

Ow.. sorry to hear that. You got insurance for that ?

Not necessarily - the problem happens all of a sudden - it konks out....and feels like it is going to stop. The transmission guys told me to drive it in manual - thats 1st or 2nd gear from memory ( never knew that!!) to get it to the workshop....but if it has had a new computer, I would be wary of the transmission IMHO.

Re the accident - the merc driver's insurance has paid for everything - about $5000 in hire car, plus taxis, plus a car steam clean because the first lot of repairers left the windows down in all the rain, a new battery because the turkeys left the lights on, plus a second repair job and soon some more paint work as soon as I get the quote- i.e a disaster. It would have been cheaper to write it off!

Waw.. quite a disaster as you said. Hope it's all gonna be over for you soon !

After all the reading I think I'm gonna consider other 4wd because I don't want to get stuck with the idea that this issue may or may not happen (I'm aware i coud always face other problems with other cars but at least I won't feel stressed whenever I'll be driving).

You probably have a lot to do atm but if you have some spare time, i would really appreciate some assistance as I don't know much about all this.

Again, thanks for your replies and all the best.

• 1 month later...

Hi- you will need to replace the computer ( about $7-800 )- try Hi-Tech in Alexandria NSW if you are not too far away...but you may need to get a reconditioned transmission - about $4000....and then you need to complain to Toyota ( won't get you anywhere, but put it in writing and send them copies of your receipts ) and there is a link somewhere where you can make a formal complaint to a Govt department that may lead to a class action..I hope someone else posts the link here...Good Luck!!

• 2 years later...

I have just got on here because I was searching for problems with my 2003 RAV4 automatic which is thumping into gear suddenly.  This thread is somewhat older than I expected and I am in the UK and I see a lot of posters are in Australia or USA.  I see people talking about ECU or an ECM - are they the same thing?  And what is that? I can't get my car into the Toyota garage in Canterbury  for another ten days and I am frightened to use it as it is. Will I do it more damage if I do?  (No chance of Toyota paying out - my car was second hand and in perfect order when I purchased it). Any help or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks  Jill

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:02 PM, Wayne Cormack said:

Hello,

Just had to replace the transmission bearings in my 2015 Automatic Rav. 130000 kms. Expensive exercise. Very unhappy and will never buy a Rav again! 

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I’ve just had the same issue occur in my 2016 RAV4! 120000km, failed car transmission bearings! Now facing a hefty repair bill!