Supercharging a 1zz-fe engine

02rolla

Hi all

Was directed to this forum by IZZ-FE from another forum.

Anyway my corolla is stock at the moment (even the stock slippery tyres <_< ) and I've pretty much made up my mind to get a TRD Supercharger installed in a couple of months (If all things go to plan).

I was quoted $3500 by penrith toyota on the TRD superchargers + installation which seems very resonable to me. Thats with out a piggyback ECU i will get a UNI Chip installed first.

Anyway i was after any input/recommendations on other lead up mods i should do before geting the s/charger. Was planning on geting a set of TRD extractors and prob a 2inch cat back exhaust or maybe 2 1/4. Will i need to by new piping if i get a TRD CAI installed before the supercharger ?

Will i need to replace the stock clutch and flywheel ?

Anyway fire away, happy at any input i get.

Depending on how much boost you run will depend on what happens to your clutch. heavy duty clutch and pressure plate probably needed and if you do that then lighten your flywheel as well. Exhaust system is a necessity and probably 2 1/4 inch to maybe 2.5 inches depending on power output. Another thing that you'll have to change is your spark plugs to possibly higher or lower heat range depending on outcome. Should go pretty dam hard tho...

cheers SILVABULLIT :D

grimlock is the guy to talk to about this as he as one. But the clutch will want to be replaced and a good exhaust system will help 2 1/4- 2 1/2 inch should be about right. I think with the cai it wont connect up to the supercharger without some mods so you might be beter off to wait for that

Also save the Unichip til after the Supercharger install as it is tuned to the car you will just waste money having to tune it twice (once pre S/C, once post S/C conversion)... This should always be that last planned mod because of the fact it is tuned to the car and the mods...

WOOO hoo, i've been waiting for someone else to get one.

Anyhoos, lets get down to details

Clutch, save you money until your one is gone, i've used it for 450000 no slip yet

If you get it installed at Penrith Toyota, you would need to tow your car to a ECM place anyways, Penrith Toyota don't have any facilities.

I would recommend getting your Full exhaust done at Liverpool Exhaust, with ceramic headers and go for 2.5, sports exhaust not cannon, cause it wil be extremely loud.

If you have the money get a new ECM, i was quoted around 2kish for a motec system, at one of the Motec dealers in sydney.

So, in this order, Exhaust, CAI, SuperCharger, ECM, in that order you'll save money cause you'll only need to tune your car once.

Ohh min 16inch rims, or you'll have to be nice on the gas pedal

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I will get most of the mods done locally (except for the s/c and chip, I live in the Widebay so theres not too many options around) as its not too easy for me to get away at the time of year i'm looking at getting most of this stuff done.

grimlock

How long did it take for them to install the s/charger then get it tuned (was it just a half day job ?).

I think i will be looking at going something like this:

Rims, Exhaust, Suspension, brakes, CAI, SuperCharger, ECM,

Thanks.

Hi Rich,

the mods mentioned are being done to the 1zz engine (levin/conquest/ascent) not the 2zz (sportivo).

but if your asking after these mods on a sportivo what would the car be putting out. I think the kit that i have seen on the net for the sportivo states the car will go from 192hp to 230hp ish approx. Thats just form the supercharger kit. To be honest with you though on the sportivo it is a bit of a headache to do this.

cheers

Bill

sounds like a good order

hey what brakes are you getting? I reckon the stock ones are pretty good, i haven't locked up on them yet.

Nah man my ordeal took a month, cause no one knew how to put it in

I'll say give it a good 2 days, so have a backup car ready

You don't want to rush the tuner, cause you want want them to map your car nice, so yeah i had to wait a whole day, cause he did it in 2 session, 5 times each session

plus with the SC, you can't do it too much cause it heats up much faster than turbo on a dyno

Not sure what brakes yet, haven't really looked into it too much yet, its just up there on my to do list (which seems to be ever growing).

The fellas at Penrith toyota that i have been emailing said:

"The s/charger takes about 4-5 hours to fit, it is a bolt on thing no mods

needed.

There are a couple of people who sell unichip in Sydney. Search the web or

yellow pages.

Probably best to take the s/charger to them to fit all in one go."

Looks like i might buy the s/charger and head to brissy and get one of the air power systems guys to install it.

But thats a while of yet, got a couple months of working before my funds allow me to do anything to my car.