Oop's where did that part go

RogerP

The Saga continues

The mechanic is sacked

he came round to pull the accessory shaft off

he didn't want to follow the recommended method document found at yahoo Previa group, insisting that he new better and mocking me for the suggestion

He undid the bolts on the rear flexi joint and told me to rock the accessories forward so that he could use some levers to lever the shaft off the front of the engine

when it was finally to the side it was noticed that the front flexi joint was also broken, so that too was unbolted and the whole shaft removed.

No paint marks were set

Then to unseat the sleeves from the "y" yokes he hit a screw driver blade onto each sleeve

[the recommended method of putting a philips style screw driver down each sleeve and rotating around and around seemed to work well for me on the bits remaining]

This work was done on the back of his tray-back ute

He took one Flexi-joint and I kept one - so that we could use them when sourcing replacements.

he went soon after, this was about 2 weeks ago.

I bought the replacement flexi-joints off eBay, two aluminum rings with the rubbers and nine bolts for about $90 Aust.

I went to put them on last week and found that there was a part missing

The book calls it a "Coupling Flange"

it is the small "Y" yoke that sits at the engine end (rear of the shaft) it has the bearing that slides up into the shaft - what the rubber ring and grease mate to.

I remember seeing on the tray back, but don't remember where it the went, I have all the other bits - I think.

On the PDF "SADS TSB - Coupling Kit" DL001-00 The Toyota Technical Service BULLETIN November 3, 2000

you can see it in the exploded view on page - 1, at the bottom of page 4, at the bottom of page 6, page 7 shows it being put back together,

Strange thing happened when I found the part missing the mechanic rang demanding settlement, it was meant to be $100 but was taken to $150 for the shaft repair - removal and install.

But he was demanding the full $150 even though he had not completed the job - (nor would I let him)

He said I could have the parts back if I paid and that I would not be getting a receipt.

I thought parts - plural - he had the missing bit, so I agreed

He said in 6 hours time

so I waited, when he showed he only showed the flexi joint, I asked about the coupling flange, he said he didn't have it.

I said give me the flange (in-case he found it) and I'd pay

It has still not surfaced.

So, I need one for my '93 tarago

Repco have quoted something close to $300, but I'm sure the shop assistant let the supplier dictate what I wanted.

I've emailed most wreckers and am still waiting for replies

I can email the pictures if you think you can help

give the subject Tarago Pictures Wanted

send to max_e_mum at hotmail dot com