2WD or AWD

shecskter

Back in September I was going to buy a territory, got a FWD Kluger Hire Car and drove it from Sydney via Putty road to Townsville. Picked up AWD Kluger in Townsville and drove it back to Sydney.

FWD was a little lighter on fuel, but once I got into any hill work I found the FWD torque steer almost dangerous when cruise control was left on. Switched over to the AWD and the drive certainly was more relaxing and enjoyable.

Tidal blue for the drive up and Graphite for the drive back, not sure which colour is worse for showing up dirt, I now own a Pearl White KX-S AWD and am pretty happy with it.

Hi all,

I'm also quite new to the forum but for what it's worth thought I would add my 2c worth re AWD v FWD. We have had our KX-R FWD for approx 3 months now and we have been able to do a range of driving including plenty bof highway (we live in regional Vic) some dirt road as well as towing of our Jayco Camper Trailer. Initailly I was really keen to get an AWD until SWMBO suggested she couldn't see the need and the savings of around $4.5k was more important. Who I am to argue.. we ended up with FWD.

Despite my initial concerns I have to say that I can now agree that FWD is more than fine. I think there is a lot of hype about AWD but driven as most Kulgers will be (family vehicle) the FWD poses no problem. In fact I was quite amazed that even towing 1.5t of camper trailer on gravel still no wheel spin (if driven sensibly).

Better still, towing we were getting an average of 12l/100km sitting on 100kmh over 1,000kms... now I can't complian at that. The work Commodore Wagon struggles to get that in just normal driving!!

As many responses have highlighted it's all down to personal choice but the initial saving on the purchase, the on-going fuel savings and the slightly better performance, unless you REALLY need it AWD is an overkill. There are plenty of 2WD cars out there that aren't spinning off the road the first time it gets wet and many AWD that are!!

It's more about the driver not the number of drive wheels!!!