Some questions about Fog Light and HID kit

Hi everyone :ph34r: ,

1. I want to install a set of fog light for my corolla 05, would it be expensive ?

2. How much is the cost (appx) included the fitting?

3. Will I have a choice of using HID for my Fog light?

4. Is it legal to use HID as fog light in SA? I have seen people with HID as main headllight driving around, but some also told me that this is not actually legal since it's to bright and distract other drivers.

5. Can my Toyota Dealer (Cornes Toyota, SA) do that? Or i have to purchase aftermarket part and get someone install that for me?

6. How long does it take for the installation?

Thanks in advance, everyone :)

:yahoo:

1. & 2. Looking at around 200-300 per a good set of lights, fitting wouldn't be too much, but im sure you can find or make a friend that can help, its not hard.

3. yes you can use hid for the fogs too

4. everyones been though it, but basically no they are not legal on your car, doesn't stop us though, i have a pair. reason is that the glare from the lense will blind others, the euros have auto cleaning/auto height adjusting units. I aimed mine lower to help the glare problem, but their still hugely bright.

5. only the new 07 corollas have hid as an options from factory in australia

6. mounting the ballast is the longest bit, if your using a battery harness maybe another 20 minutes or so to run it, but less than an hour all up in the hardest cases. (my ballast had the tendency to ground themselves :( so i had to cover it in tape)

if ya search theres way more info floating around

1. & 2. Looking at around 200-300 per a good set of lights, fitting wouldn't be too much, but im sure you can find or make a friend that can help, its not hard.

4. everyones been though it, but basically no they are not legal on your car, doesn't stop us though, i have a pair. reason is that the glare from the lense will blind others, the euros have auto cleaning/auto height adjusting units. I aimed mine lower to help the glare problem, but their still hugely bright.

6. mounting the ballast is the longest bit, if your using a battery harness maybe another 20 minutes or so to run it, but less than an hour all up in the hardest cases. (my ballast had the tendency to ground themselves :( so i had to cover it in tape)

Thank you for your answer.

If it's not 100% legal, will the cops notice at us? Will we be fined if the cops notice?

My uncle has a Lexus GS 350, when he turn the headlight on, i can see the car (or him) can adjust the headlight unit to control the glare, that looks awesome :).

Will the fog lights from a authorized toyota dealer be cheaper, or the aftermarket one? which one should we choose? If we buy the aftermarket one, will they give us any guarantee at all?

Thank you for your answer.

If it's not 100% legal, will the cops notice at us? Will we be fined if the cops notice?

My uncle has a Lexus GS 350, when he turn the headlight on, i can see the car (or him) can adjust the headlight unit to control the glare, that looks awesome :).

Will the fog lights from a authorized toyota dealer be cheaper, or the aftermarket one? which one should we choose? If we buy the aftermarket one, will they give us any guarantee at all?

Hi KHIEM,

Aftermarket parts are almost always cheaper than genuine toyota parts. I would think that aftermarket brands would give a refund if their product is faulty just like any other general product.

I'd like to say that fog lights ARE NOT ILLEGAL...

The only time they are illegal is when you have BOTH headlight and FOGLIGHTS are turned on TOGETHER

Bottom line is that you are allow ONE source of light from your car at any time..

1. Parker + Lowbeam OR

2. Parker + Foglight

its perfectly legal.. just not 1 + 2

The only time they are illegal is when you have BOTH headlight and FOGLIGHTS are turned on TOGETHER

Bottom line is that you are allow ONE source of light from your car at any time..

1. Parker + Lowbeam OR

2. Parker + Foglight

Thanks for your suggestion.

I dont quite understand what is the 'parker' light, is it the tiny light bulb located a bit under the main lowbeam bulb? And it has a symbol of just "a dot" on my switch lever (which locates above off, but under lowbeam position)? Sorry for this silly question :D

I have seen many cars with their lowbeam and fog light operating at da same time driving around, do you think that they modified their car lighting system? Will they be caught and fined?

When I install the fog light, should I remind the installer of the two dot points you have above or they will know what to do and ask me which combination I want?

1. Parker + Lowbeam OR

2. Parker + Foglight

I dont quite understand what is the 'parker' light, is it the tiny light bulb located a bit under the main lowbeam bulb? And it has a symbol of just "a dot" on my switch lever (which locates above off, but under lowbeam position)? Sorry for this silly question :D

I have seen many cars with their lowbeam and fog light operating at da same time driving around, do you think that they modified their car lighting system? Will they be caught and fined?

When I install the fog light, should I remind the installer of the two dot points you have above or they will know what to do and ask me which combination I want?

you dont hv to tell them much, if they r good what they will do is they will install the light in a way that you will have a switch for the foggie, if you switch it on without ur parker it wont do much but when you turn on your parker, if the fog light switch is to ON it will turn on, then its up to you to turn it off or leave it on when you turn on your low beam..

1. Parker + Lowbeam OR

2. Parker + Foglight

that's the one

Thanks everyone,

I will go and have a look to see which fog light i want and install 'em :)

What if i instal HID as my fog light, and aim it a lil bit down, do you think i will get caught by cops?

Cheers,

Edited by KHIEM

Thanks everyone,

I will go and have a look to see which fog light i want and install 'em :)

What if i instal HID as my fog light, and aim it a lil bit down, do you think i will get caught by cops?

Cheers,

I was thinking of putting both headlight & fog light as hid, Once you have your headlight as HID you dont really need to use the foglights

Then your going to need to find extra room to support the 2 extra ballasts for the fog lights, am i correct?

Edited by Rolla_Boy

well i think if i put both headlight and for light as HID, then it will be easier to get noticed by cops :-s Therefore, i was just thinking about putting fog light as HID and wondering if it's ok.

• 2 weeks later...

You should have a look around for some LED lights. There are particular ones that has led lights shining in 360 degrees. I have these ones http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-163896996.htm . I have them for my reversing lights, license plate lights and foggies. Definitely cheaper than HID and has the same white light effect.