Headlight tinting advice

Hello all!

I have a Corolla 2.0 D-4D SR with a full TTE bodykit and I am a member of the UK TOC.

Just wanted to ask about headlight modifications as I remember seeing some on here a while back. Has anybody tinted the inside of the headlamps?

I was thinking of doing this but I was going to buy the headlamp protectors from Toyota and paint them instead of the headlamp.

Any body offer any advice?

Here is a couple of pics of my car:

CIMG1055.jpg

CIMG1054.jpg

04062007039.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by smoftah

there are couple of ways to do it

1) you can get tint papers/layers or whatever and put it like sticker on your car. what they do to windows

2) tint sprays (not my fav, last time i tried i made sucha big mess!)

3) what you said paint the protectors

and more

but i say dont worry about it, just save your money and get new LED or custom ones. black on blue its getting bit old, im personally getting all my black bits painted.

hope that help ya. :P

Tinting the headlamp protectors would be your best option. I don't know about over there but it would be illegal here, so slap em on for show and take them off if you dont want them anymore. And also incase you change your mind.

Thank you for the replys, much appreciated.

A full headlight tint is illegal here, but I want to tint the silver areas inside the headlight that wont affect the light beam.

Painting the protectors is a good idea I think, as you say I can take them off if I change my mind.

Does anyone have pics of their headlights that they have modified?

X-Power - you say LED or custom lights, are they available for my rolla in Aus?

there are couple of ways to do it

1) you can get tint papers/layers or whatever and put it like sticker on your car. what they do to windows

2) tint sprays (not my fav, last time i tried i made sucha big mess!)

3) what you said paint the protectors

and more

but i say dont worry about it, just save your money and get new LED or custom ones. black on blue its getting bit old, im personally getting all my black bits painted.

hope that help ya. :P

I am pretty sure he was referring to the plastic bits to the INSIDE of the headlight, not the actually headlight lens. A whole bunch of members here has done it and it looks perfectly fine and legal to me.. but i suppose u got confused when he asked..

You mean you want to black out the housing on the inside like this?

stevench5.jpg

everytime i see this pic.. my pants get a little smaller... oh ... wait on... :huh:

thats wht im talking about @_@

:huh: lol just saw my car thanks guys for the comments if u want the headlights like that u gotta oven ur lights to open them and then spray them ive seen a few holdens and subarus around with fully tinted headlight covers and they do look mean as but its illegal cuz if u turn on ur headlights it will be really dark =]

hope that helps

Steve,

Try look up a DIY on Honda forums, its a very common mod for the Ek civic and the dc5 RSX as in america they come with chrome hosing.

It's basically take your headlight apart and place it in a oven.

Oven should be at 200degrees but when you put the headlight in turn off the heat so its just warm in there enough to melt the glue so you can pry it apart. It takes along time, but alot easier if you have a big oven. I did this too my celica and the s2000. The celica i got some help and was also in a Big oven so it was easier. The s2000 I did myself and the headlight didn't fit inside the oven so it took me around 8 horus to do both.

Also have to wrap the headlight in a towl of some sort so it doesn't get burnt/melt. Once you take it apart you should be able to seperate everything and see which bit you have too paint. Get any matt black paint to paint it and seal it up the same way you open it in the oven.

You could also add silicon to make sure there's no gaps because if there is the headlight will fog up on cold nights.

Best too look up a DIY like on Clubrsx or hondatech its a very common mod, same with all cars and they have pictures.

Good luck mate, oh and that isnt my sportivo its my mates kaze, I just took the photo.

That is perfect, thank you for the help vyets!

bonbon - D-4D is diesel, do you not get them in Aus? Mine is the 2.0 D-4D 116 ps / 280Nm of torque. You can get a chip for them in the UK that takes it to 148ps with 320 nm.

X-Power - The camry does not really have a following in the Uk, never seen one modded but they do look sweet with big wheels on.

Thanks for everyones help on this! Great forum here.

narh diesel isnt as popular here as over in england, we're just starting to get new cars that offer it

but so far no passenger toyotas have been offered with diesel

heard the new d4d is a beast of a thing over there

I think a deisel corolla would go down well over here.

my dads got a Pug 307 2L turbo deisel. Chipped, with chrome wheels, "altezza" style lights, retrimmed leather interior.

Handles great as standard. pulls amazingly think its about 370nm ? maybe Im wrong but seems right... looking under it for a screw the other day I noticed its driveshafts too ...thick as a elephants schlong!

Maybe a tough upgrade would be driveshafts from the euro deisel corolla onto F/I modified Aussie corollas. I imagine the gearbox certainly would have different gear ratios though....

On topic. I'm now considering some of those black tail lights they look schmick in the "gEneric auction site" posts. :)

I went to local Autobarn (Crapalaba, Brisbane) , they quoted $330 to supply the same rear lights listed above. Those ones you link to are over $100 cheaper...bargain!

• 4 months later...

with the recent storms in Brissie, i now have condensation in my right drivers side head lamp. would the above methos (lamp in overn and seperating ) bea good way to fix, nay, the only way ? thinking i could blackout the rest as above whilst there ?! also are there other prducts i could put use to seal it back up again once clear of moisture !?

EDIT - ok , i see i should be able to draw out moisture leaving eht light sockets out the back givingit somewhere to evaporate out from ...hopes that works.. dotn tink my wife would be keen on molten head laamp in bottom of oven.... does the headlamp bolt straight off, or does bumper need removal ?!

Edited by Smithy