Adding a sub to my stereo

Hey people...

I have a 2004 camry sportivo and want to add a subwoofer to my stereo, i have the amp, and i have the sub... but when i went into alberts they asked me all these questions about the back of my head unit... like does it have rca out-puts and other questions that i kinda had no idea of... does anyone know if the stock head unit is capable of attaching an amp and sub to it, and if so is there anything i need to know before i go to someone and get it installed??

Thanks Heaps!!

Hey people...

I have a 2004 camry sportivo and want to add a subwoofer to my stereo, i have the amp, and i have the sub... but when i went into alberts they asked me all these questions about the back of my head unit... like does it have rca out-puts and other questions that i kinda had no idea of... does anyone know if the stock head unit is capable of attaching an amp and sub to it, and if so is there anything i need to know before i go to someone and get it installed??

Thanks Heaps!!

No, the standard head-unit does not have RCA outputs. You can purchase a LOC (line-out converter) to connect an amp to it. I would however, recommend buying a new head-unit.

Moving to Audio.

yeah new head unit for sure. If its not a normal din size, u might wanna use the stock unit with line out converters. my mates mazda does that and still sounds as good as some after market head units

• 10 months later...

As mentioned above, no there is no RCA output as expected from stock head units.

And mentioned as well you can get a line out converter.

I have gone this way myself, and it ain't bad.

Converted front speaker wires to LineOutConverter to a 4 channel Amp.

Bridged the rear channels to the sub

and front channels to the front speakers.

I chose to convert the front speaker wires to the LOC so I can later Amp the front speakers for sounds quality.

However you can choose to use your rear speaker wires to LOC if you want.

All in all, the best solution if you want to keep a stealth, non-modded look and you want to make use of your radio/cdplayer and your steering controls.

BTW, I have a camry sportivo which is the reason why I have gone this way. The standard speakers in the car can handle a little bit of extra power.

But that is probably because the sportivo speakers are upgraded from the standard...say altise range.

But as mentioned, the best way to go is to get a new deck. Way better sound quality if you are picky!