Battery warning light on!

JIN

Hi guys.

I think I am having trouble with eletro system.

The situation is that I tried to install my dvd system on my aurion.

and I am pretty sure I did correct job on wiring and the dvd player was playing.

so I turned off the car because I was just turning the car on to check the dvd player was working properly.

After I finished installing I started car again and everything was fine so I turned car off.

However, I had to go somewhere after that so I started my car again and then the battery warning light came on.

It doesn't get off during the driving.

I checked all the small fuses from the main fuse box under bonnet and one of the radio fuse was blown so I changed.

I couldn't check the 2 big bulk fuses becos I don't know how to take them out but all the small fuses are ok after replacing the blown fuse.

Is there any other fuse box in the car??

My previous car had another fuse box inside of car but I couldn't find any in my aurion.

The battery warning light is still on,

So I had to take everything back to factory stock and the warning light still doesn't go off.

One strange thing is that if there's something wrong with battery or alternator, I may not be able to start the car becos of the flat battery but it seems fine cos I was driving for a while in the night time after the warning light is on, and at that time my headlights are on and also the stock audio was on pretty loud.

So I am lost now and I took everything back to stock even headlight to call toyota. :(

Before I go to toyota, is there anything I have to check?

I told that one of my friend used to work at subaru, and he said it could be the alternator.

Does anyone have any idea about it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Usually when you get the battery warning light, even after the car is started, it is a problem with the charging system. Whether or not this was caused by the installation of your stereo or by coincidence, I wouldn't know.

Since this is a relatively new car, I doubt the brushes in the alternator would be stuffed. If any fuse was blown in relation to the power that the alternator supplies, it would be a fusible link which is one of those two big blue things you talk about. Blowing that takes quite a bit (alternator fault), so there is a good chance that the fault isn't there. There is another fuse box in the car located in the area underneath and behind the glove box. Just remove the trim that joins the glove box underneath to remove. I would try and inspect those firstly, then the fusible links before taking it into Toyota.

EDIT: You know... in the midst of thinking about the electrics, I failed to think of one simple problem as well. Your alternator drive belt may have come off. For a relatively new car, you wouldn't picture it happening, but there is always the possibility. If you are able to inspect that area, that would be a good thing to check out as well.

Usually when you get the battery warning light, even after the car is started, it is a problem with the charging system. Whether or not this was caused by the installation of your stereo or by coincidence, I wouldn't know.

Since this is a relatively new car, I doubt the brushes in the alternator would be stuffed. If any fuse was blown in relation to the power that the alternator supplies, it would be a fusible link which is one of those two big blue things you talk about. Blowing that takes quite a bit (alternator fault), so there is a good chance that the fault isn't there. There is another fuse box in the car located in the area underneath and behind the glove box. Just remove the trim that joins the glove box underneath to remove. I would try and inspect those firstly, then the fusible links before taking it into Toyota.

EDIT: You know... in the midst of thinking about the electrics, I failed to think of one simple problem as well. Your alternator drive belt may have come off. For a relatively new car, you wouldn't picture it happening, but there is always the possibility. If you are able to inspect that area, that would be a good thing to check out as well.

Thanks for your comment DJKOR.

I knew you're gonna answer at the first position!! :)

I already checked the belts and they looked fine and all tensioned.

BTW how do you take the two big fuses out?

I was trying to take them out by pulling them but they are kinda stuck and didn't get pulled.

So if it is just fuse problem, which I wish, there's no problem of driving the car, right?

I was worrying that if the alternator is faulty, and my car gets stopped in the middle of the road.

It sounds like I have to take a look at the fuses again tomorrow. :(

Thanks for your comment DJKOR.

I knew you're gonna answer at the first position!! :)

I already checked the belts and they looked fine and all tensioned.

BTW how do you take the two big fuses out?

I was trying to take them out by pulling them but they are kinda stuck and didn't get pulled.

So if it is just fuse problem, which I wish, there's no problem of driving the car, right?

I was worrying that if the alternator is faulty, and my car gets stopped in the middle of the road.

It sounds like I have to take a look at the fuses again tomorrow. :(

It appears that the fusible links are screwed down. There is no need to remove it though to tell if it's okay. Just get a bright light and shine it through one end and view it from the other. The two of them are stepped in such a fashion that it allows you to view it without removing it. As well, if there was a blown fusible link, you shouldn't miss it since the plastic surrounding it would be a little discoloured.

If all the fuses are fine, most likely it is an alternator problem, possibly with the pulley. The car will operate okay, but it all depends on how far you need to go to get to your service centre. If the alternator was busted, you would be relying purely on your battery to provide ignition for the engine. It all comes down to how much charge is in your battery. Judging by the fact you said you drove around with your headlights and stereo on, it may be a little low and your car possibly might not make it to your service centre.

put a multimeter on the alternator if thats pushin out between 13.2v to 14.4v it will be good then check battery the same way or load test it, batterys these crap themselves at the drop of a hat.

but check the fuses again and behind the glovebox prob with a test light to both sides cause from what ive learned and seen sometimes a fuse will blow but it'll be at the edge were u cant really see especially if the lighting is crap.

• 9 years later...
34 minutes ago, Mon2 said:

Hi, which fuse did you have to replace, I am facing a similar issue, It would be really good if you could post a photo.

Please read the dates that posts were made. This is 10 years old and the member who posted has not logged in for 2 years. I would not expect a reply from JIN.