Parking sensors for Kluger KX-S

kemil

IMHO getting reverse sensors is a must.. I've got both front and back but the front sensors only work on 2 points.. thus when parking it is useless as it wouldn't sense the distance between the front car or tow bar and yours. The only advantage is you will be able to get out of the lot without bumping on the car in front of you.

I definitely have to agree with you there. Since having the front sensors installed I've really only been able to use them once, and have needed them several times but they were ineffective because they didn't have any range in front. I decided not to go with the rear sensors as I figured the camera would be sufficient. I still can't judge distances with it yet.

Well personally, I think the rear sensors would be a better investment. Well personal preference..

IMy mate's put front and reverse cameras on his TRD Aurion (courtesy of Northfield) and together with his aftermarket head unit (Eclipse). I can do an intro for mate's rates for whoever is interested. I dont get any commission and the decision is entirely up to you. :whistling:

I may be interested in a new head unit in a year or 2. Anyone know if it's possible for an auto electriican to to set up the KX-S display so that when you pres the disp button it will cycle through the reverse camera even when you're driving forward? When driving it can be difficult to see if someone is behind you with the revision mirror particularly at night if a sedan is tail gating you.

Hmm you can try and ask them but I'm not sure how big a job it will be.. n u wont want to mess with the electrics.. Toyota's pretty fussy trust me.. they removed my aftermarket brake pedals..saying they are unsafe cos they are not factory fitted.. haha :spiteful:

Hmm you can try and ask them but I'm not sure how big a job it will be.. n u wont want to mess with the electrics.. Toyota's pretty fussy trust me.. they removed my aftermarket brake pedals..saying they are unsafe cos they are not factory fitted.. haha :spiteful:

Might be best to leave the factory display as is and connect the reverse camera to a new head unit when I eventually get one.

Might be best to leave the factory display as is and connect the reverse camera to a new head unit when I eventually get one.

That would be the best option I reckon..

That would be the best option I reckon..

Even with the new head unit it was necesary to disconnect wires from the display.

On KX-R and KX-S, the reverse wire is connected to the Multi Function Display. When you select reverse, or connect 12V to pin2, the MFD outputs 6V to the camera and displays the check surroundings message as well as the camera image.

Therefore, to connect the camera to a new head unit, you need to disconnect the reverse signal, the camera supply and the camera output from the MFD and install a 6V supply for the camera. If you have the 6V connected to the camera all the time, not just when in reverse, it is possible to display the image on the head unit at any time as well as when in reverse.

As far as the electrical schematics show, this reverse signal wire only connects to the MFD, or in a Grande to the navigation system. It should be possible to install a switch to supply 12V to pin2 on the MFD at any time. To be safe, I would do it with a diode in series with the signal from the reverse switch in case it is connected elsewhere. The same can probably be done on the Grande.

• 3 weeks later...
IMHO getting reverse sensors is a must.. I've got both front and back but the front sensors only work on 2 points.. thus when parking it is useless as it wouldn't sense the distance between the front car or tow bar and yours. The only advantage is you will be able to get out of the lot without bumping on the car in front of you.

I definitely have to agree with you there. Since having the front sensors installed I've really only been able to use them once, and have needed them several times but they were ineffective because they didn't have any range in front. I decided not to go with the rear sensors as I figured the camera would be sufficient. I still can't judge distances with it yet.

on the lexus luxury models their screen displays guidelines indicating where your own bumper is (red horizontal line) so it helps for judging distances. they also have green vertical lines on the side to help line up the car straight when reversing

i wonder if the kluger screen could be marked to show where/when you should stop reversing before you hit something?

• 11 years later...
On 11/29/2008 at 7:18 AM, Glug said:

Just had my 20,000 km service and finally got around to asking about turning off the rear sensors while towing a van/trailer etc.

Well, the guys at my dealer had no idea, but one guy got on the phone and the other on the computer. Answer was the no cut off as such, but the speaker itself has a high/low/OFF switch. So they were able to show me the panel in the back to take off and then you follow a wire up to the speaker and feel for the switch.

A bit of a pain but I tow a bit and the beeping was driving me crazy, so the speaker is now on low (which is still very audible) and when I go out this afternoon to get some brickies sand I can turn it off. 🙂

I know it's long time ago and maybe a different model, but do you remember where is the speaker is? "which back panel"? My buzzer doesn't work at all, so hard to find. Cheers CHRIS