Gearbox rattle

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post.

I am looking at a buying a corolla hatch (1ZZ-FE) and have noticed a loose rattling sound from around the gearbox when I step off the accelerator?

I have read about people saying certain springs or something in the clutch rattling?

Gear selector cables?

All of these symptoms seem to be on the sportivo and I haven't heard much about ppl with 1zz-fe's! I know this topic must have been covered many times, It's just I don't know if the problems decribed are typical of the normal corolla - 1zz-fe wise.

Would changing the gearbox oil help? - I need someone to set my mind straight!

please help.

Edited by Spirited

i don't know of a rattling sound but i do get a squicking sound.. going into 1st when im at a stand still..

i changed oil but it didn't help..

Read about people replacing the clutch with exedy HD/TRD clutches, apparently those seemed to have solved the rattles.

I plan to change all fluids when I get the corolla anyway. Hopefully your still under warranty dude. gl solving the problem.

We bought one last November which had a rattle which sounded like an exhaust pipe or similar hitting against somethimg whenever you accelerated from a standing start, OK while travelling. this was on a pre sale test drive. On arrival back at the dealership it was bought to the attention of a nearby mechanic who diagnosed it immediately as a timing belt tensioner problem which would take about 30 minutes to fix. Bought the car on the proviso the problem would be fixed prior to taking delivery. The problem was fixed and has never been back and we couldn't be happier with the car..

We bought one last November which had a rattle which sounded like an exhaust pipe or similar hitting against somethimg whenever you accelerated from a standing start, OK while travelling. this was on a pre sale test drive. On arrival back at the dealership it was bought to the attention of a nearby mechanic who diagnosed it immediately as a timing belt tensioner problem which would take about 30 minutes to fix. Bought the car on the proviso the problem would be fixed prior to taking delivery. The problem was fixed and has never been back and we couldn't be happier with the car..

Wow, sounds like it could be a host of things... I just hope it's something simple to fix. It has warranty until the end of October, so I hope it will be covered and can be fixed. I live on the Sunshine Coast, so maybe it would be best to go to a Lexus dealer in Brisbane if best, Indooroopily? - seems to be getting alot of talk on the forum.

Cheers.

Sam.

From what you've said it could possibly be the serpentine belt tensioner or the clutch release bearing...

Both are pretty expensive to replace if you're paying someone to do it...

Are you buying it from a dealer or privately???

Belt Tensioner is around $350 for the part alone from memory and to change the release bearing means the gearbox has to come out...

Hi,

Yes I am buying privately.

Sounds like it may just be better to by a HD clutch and get that fitted.

In regards to the tensioner pulley - if it is making the noise, is it detrimental not to change it out? will it cause damage as is?

I will do some more reading on the topic.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Sam.

Edited by Spirited