Piston Slap

SamF

Hi, I recently read in a motoring article that the new Camry's V6 (same engine as the Kluger) have a problem with piston slap when they were cold. (This is a rattly noise in the engine before it gets to normal operating temperature.).

My engine is definitly a litlle noisier when cold, I have put this down to it being an alumnium engine and therefore not having the noise damping properties of a cast iron engine block. It is definitly not as noise as my Gen III V8 Calais which had to have the Holden modification of having teflon inserts installed in each piston.

I would be interested in other people's comment.

Mine is always garaged so I don't think it is that noticeable for me, but I did some research (haha on YouTube) about piston slap

I think it is:

The best

Others

Somewhat unique in the Subaru Boxer engine. Could you see if the writer is a Subaru owners?

It is like me saying something engine flooding ^_^

Mine is always garaged so I don't think it is that noticeable for me, but I did some research (haha on YouTube) about piston slap

I think it is:

The best

Others

Somewhat unique in the Subaru Boxer engine. Could you see if the writer is a Subaru owners?

It is like me saying something engine flooding ^_^

Hi Taka

Thanks for your comment.

No the writer was a motoring writer who was soliciting information about problems with Toyota (and other brands as well) and this came from a Toyota owner. He had had numerous Toyota Camrys over the years and the new one was the first that exhibited piston slap. My car is also always garaged when at home, but as I said it is definitly a little noisier when it started first thing in the morning. Once it get to normal operating temperature, it is quite low in the noise department.

Edited by SamF

I have not noticed it on mine, but I changed my oil @ 1000km to Mobil 1 0w-40 ..... she has 8500km on it now and its same as the day I picked it up, no abnormal noises? Mine is more vocal as I have no cover on top of my engine (can see pics in my thread). The only noise I hear is fuel injectors opening and closing at fast idle, which gets less intense only as engine warms up and idle drops down to normal level... you can always hear fuel injectors and valve gear :D which is nice as you can hear its heart working :D

It is a sweet engine, I love mine. Oh I used Automotive mechanics steathascope and could never hear anything abnormal from cold on either the factory oil or on the Mobil I use now. Not sure how it will be in 100,000km time :P

Mine is definitely noisy on initial startup, but only for a second or two (I always put it down to the oil circulating). I have heard the Subaru piston slap, and my Kluger doesn't sound the same...

Cheers!

Edited by holmesie

Mine is definitely noisy on initial startup, but only for a second or two (I always put it down to the oil circulating). I have heard the Subaru piston slap, and my Kluger doesn't sound the same...

Cheers!

Agreed same with mine... one or two seconds maximum then its as described.

Hi,

I have a KX-R AWD (about 5,000 km) and my wife has a Subaru Impreza RX (1,000 km). The Subaru sounds like the motor will fall apart when it is started when cold, while the Kluger doesn't sound rough at all. Certainly haven't heard any harsh noises from the motor and mine is an ex-demo.

Cheers,

Snowy68