AIR POD?

ApBPaul

hey guys, pretty new to this club and driving all together lol

my mate just gave me his old K&N air pod

was thinking about adding it on - jw what you guys would go about doing it.

And thinking bout changing the muffler for abit of a grunt. Would it effect the performance? how so?

sorry if the questions are stupid

cheers for the help guys =]]]

If you wanted to use the pod filter that you already have, you will need to buy or build an intake tube with the MAF sensor and vacuum hose attachments. Look at the setup that dannywss has for an idea. Buying one already pre-made would save you all the hassle. In the long run, all you will gain is a lot more extra noise and most likely a minor loss in power (for the non-TRD Aurions). The loss/gain in power with respect to the intake is questionable though. From my experience, it seems that there is ever so slightly more low end torque with the stock intake. If you were concerned about helping reduce intake restriction, you could just buy a K&N panel filter and call it a day. May even work out cheaper than trying to mess with the pod filter you have there (depending on the US exchange rate).

As for the muffler, everyone here has only gone for the extra grunt factor. We haven't been aiming to improve power... yet. None of us here have really tested the effect of changing just the mufflers and therefore it's hard to say whether there has been a drop in performance. My guess is that if you are reducing your back pressure, you will lose a bit of your low end torque, but gain more high end power. That's what I have noticed with my cutout. I think the advantages of less restriction for high end power was proved by Darius who managed to get an increase in power on the dyno with a Varex setup with both the resonator and his under-body cat removed.

If you wanted to use the pod filter that you already have, you will need to buy or build an intake tube with the MAF sensor and vacuum hose attachments. Look at the setup that dannywss has for an idea. Buying one already pre-made would save you all the hassle. In the long run, all you will gain is a lot more extra noise and most likely a minor loss in power (for the non-TRD Aurions). The loss/gain in power with respect to the intake is questionable though. From my experience, it seems that there is ever so slightly more low end torque with the stock intake. If you were concerned about helping reduce intake restriction, you could just buy a K&N panel filter and call it a day. May even work out cheaper than trying to mess with the pod filter you have there (depending on the US exchange rate).

As for the muffler, everyone here has only gone for the extra grunt factor. We haven't been aiming to improve power... yet. None of us here have really tested the effect of changing just the mufflers and therefore it's hard to say whether there has been a drop in performance. My guess is that if you are reducing your back pressure, you will lose a bit of your low end torque, but gain more high end power. That's what I have noticed with my cutout. I think the advantages of less restriction for high end power was proved by Darius who managed to get an increase in power on the dyno with a Varex setup with both the resonator and his under-body cat removed.

hey man cheers =]] yeah mines a non-trd aurion, a loss in power that sucks!

im looking for a way to add more grunt n maybe power without any messy DIY jobs.

is there anything nice and simple or something relatively cheap i can save up for? =]

cheers fo the help

is there anything nice and simple or something relatively cheap i can save up for? =]

as djkor said, a drop in k&n (or bmc) panel filter is the easiest. if you can afford to, use pulp as it gives an extra 4kw in the aurions. theyre the cheapest and easiest things you can do to increase power without modding it.

<coughs> turbo...

Come ooonnn.... be the first. LOL. As much as I believe that the Aurion is just built to have only a supercharger, a turbo setup would be sweet, and probably cheaper (in comparison to the Supercharger anyways). A front mount on the Sportivo would look nice as well.

Joking aside, I guess your next step after intake is exhaust. If you save up, you can do a Varex setup for around $1000 and that way you can adjust the volume level. It all comes down to your budget really and how much you want to save. If I had the money, I would get a custom headers and dual 2 inch piping to the rear with a dual Varex to top it off. Unless I win the lotto, that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

hey awesome cheers =]] haha

next week getting it serviced, 35% tinted windows and hopefully the panel filter =]]

and then save up for the exhaust =]

was thinking about painting the rims aye to be different and a cheaper solution to standing out, but might look dodgy so might not lol

Pulling off topic - could the Aurion internals handle some boost?...say 10psi at least?

I'm pretty sure the TRD has the exact same engine internals and that S/C has got to be pushing at least 6 PSI. I'm guessing if you boost it to about 10, it would handle it, but I would question how long it would last.

My biggest question about turbo on an aurion would be where to mount the turbos? Typically you would use twin turbo in a V6 I would imagine, but it is so rare to see a FWD V6 that i don't know where you would place them...

I reckon the engine itself could take a bit of boost... maybe about 8psi would be safe with it at the most. Supercharger is the only option I can see though, as you can't easily reroute exhaust from the back of the engine to a turbo, or is there something I'm overlooking here?

My biggest question about turbo on an aurion would be where to mount the turbos? Typically you would use twin turbo in a V6 I would imagine, but it is so rare to see a FWD V6 that i don't know where you would place them...

I reckon the engine itself could take a bit of boost... maybe about 8psi would be safe with it at the most. Supercharger is the only option I can see though, as you can't easily reroute exhaust from the back of the engine to a turbo, or is there something I'm overlooking here?

Yep, correct. I did some quick reading on ToyotaNation & where to mount turbo & lack of space for more exhaust piping were the biggest issues.

IMO there *could* be some room where the air filter box sits at the moment, taking that out, maybe put the battery in the boot & there's room for turbo & some intake pipes, but exhaust I've got no idea because I havent got underneath to have a good look.

Looks like I'll have to get me a Ebay Super-electric-intake-turbine-crap-charger instead......

Looks like I'll have to get me a Ebay Super-electric-intake-turbine-crap-charger instead......

LOL. "When I grow up, I wanna be a turbo". I just don't get people who buy those... and the people that try to market them.