New Head Unit for ZRE Corolla

Wickedwing

Hi All

I would like to replace my stock CD head unit on my 08 ZRE Corolla. I find it unbearable that it swallows CD's and spits them back out at its leisure. I've done some research on the internet and its a common problem. I doubt given the age of the car, a replacement under warranty would rectify anything.

So now I have an excuse to upgrade my head unit. I'm leaning towards some of the Pioneer/Alpine ones with MP3/iPod/USB connectivity. My questions are as follows:

1) Where can I get HU's installed at a good price? I'd rather leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. I'm located in Sydney metro region.

2) Given that the space is double DIN, will the installer be able to fit a gap filler as the stock HU is slightly wider? Will I have to source this myself? If so, where can I obtain this?

3) Should I be upgrading speakers? I've previously read here that the audio logic in the newer Toyota's are strange and replacing the HU will make the sound worse on stock speakers. Should I be matching brands with the HU?

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by Wickedwing

1) It's only a HU install, it's not rocket science. Most car audio places like strathfield and other car audio stores can do it. Prices will vary tho.

2) As for double din fitting, yes it'll fit but there'll be gaps. You can order a face plate for your car (which is like a full new plate for the entire headunit) for about...from a guess $50-$60??? I just installed gap fillers from Toyota (apparently they are off an Echo/Yaris) for around $15 each (so $30 both sides).

As for which headunit, it all depends. If you're looking at Double Din, look at the Alpine W502E or W202E, but my preference I went with the JVC KW-AVX810. I got it on the cheap, but also because the JVC had more little functions I like. For example, SD card and USB output available. plays divx. the alpines don't. keep in mind single din ones are a lot cheaper.

3) speakers....yeah. i haven't done it tho. I have a pair of JBL 400WRMS 12" Subs in the back, so it keeps me happy. Although I have to admit, they lack the mid bass that it really obvious when you hear the bassy songs. i.e. you hear the highs and the lows but also you can hear something missing in the middle. to the untrained ear u might not notice it, but if u can compare it with another system it hits u right int eh face...its that obvious.

but other then that, the stock tweeters are actually quite good. if you're not so fussy.

if u want i can take a picture of mine to show u. just let me know...i can't be bothered taking one as it's night time :)

After reading in the Aurion forum about the Auspack DVD/GPS/TV/Bluetooth/reversing camera unit, I went and had a look at their website.

It shows a unit for the corolla which is supposed to be plug and play (see here for more info).

toyotacorolla.gif

It looks the goods, has heaps of features, and I hope it fits ZRE152R's, but I have emailed the guy twice and he still hasn't gotten back to me :blink:

For integrated GPS, other than a small car PC like these, you're looking at something like THIS which is going to cost a heap more (~$2500?) but it is a very good quality unit.

• Like 1

I replaced the HU in my 08 ascent hatch for a 1 din pioneer ,can't remember the serial number my stock speakers sounded fine with it they prob sounded a lil better than what they did with the factory unit. As far as the gap left the guy that installed mine put what's known as a pocket its pretty much a shelf . I got my HU installed at campbelltown JBHIFI and I got my sub installed at car audio excellence in campbelltown.both places were cheap on install paid 60 for the HU installed and 50 for the sub and amp installed

• Like 1

Thanks for this guys, this is great advice.

Do you think the installation of a new HU should coincide with a speaker upgrade?

I dont want a subwoofer because I value boot space. Should I upgrade all 4 or just the front 2 speakers? A clean speaker install (like with like size) would be ideal.

Thanks for this guys, this is great advice.

Do you think the installation of a new HU should coincide with a speaker upgrade?

I dont want a subwoofer because I value boot space. Should I upgrade all 4 or just the front 2 speakers? A clean speaker install (like with like size) would be ideal.

If you grab a decent set of splits in the front/coax's in the rear, sound deaden the doors and run them active, then chances are you won't need a sub. I recently worked on a Honda Accord in which we did the exact same thing - Kicker RS 5.25" splits in the front, KS 6.5" coax's in the rear and a 100wx4 amp to run them all, along with a heap of sound deadening in the front doors. I spent a good five minutes trying to find where the sub was hidden, only to realise there wasn't one :P

HAHAHAHAHA dude even though some can sound pretty good you can't exactly mistake a bass coming from speakers to bass from subs. Subs sounds a lot tighter when blasted.

Although, unless you listen to fully sick uleh doof doof music I'd steer away from subs too, especially if you drive a hatch. a good set of splits can be bought for around ~$250 with a set of co-axiel (for the new rolla sedans they are 6x9) at the back.

hertz have a good set available for that price, but i 4got the model.

ask around :)

HAHAHAHAHA dude even though some can sound pretty good you can't exactly mistake a bass coming from speakers to bass from subs. Subs sounds a lot tighter when blasted.

I obviously knew it wasn't coming from a couple of 12"s or something in the boot, but it could have easily passed for a 10" slimline sub.

I replaced the HU in my 08 ascent hatch for a 1 din pioneer ,can't remember the serial number my stock speakers sounded fine with it they prob sounded a lil better than what they did with the factory unit. As far as the gap left the guy that installed mine put what's known as a pocket its pretty much a shelf . I got my HU installed at campbelltown JBHIFI and I got my sub installed at car audio excellence in campbelltown.both places were cheap on install paid 60 for the HU installed and 50 for the sub and amp installed

My quote from JB was $80! Did you buy your deck from them or was it open for some haggling? I got my Pioneer single din deck, just need to book a install time.

Where did you find the double-DIN pocket to fill in the gaps? I need this as JB cant supply one.

Edited by Wickedwing

• 2 weeks later...