does anyone know how to install a central adsl filter?

JJCRU23R

just wondering, cos my internet's been retarded ever since i moved into my house. i suspect theres no central filter installed so where should i go in the house to install one? ive got probebly 4 splitters throughout the house to deal with the cordless phones, foxtel cable, house alarm and the modem. im assuming wiht a central filter i can get rid of all the splitters and my net would run uninterupted.

i usually have to reset my modem, dc/reconnect all the cables that connect to the modem an almost nightly basis in order to get the modem to "wake up" and go online.

if anyone has first hand experience and can tellme if theres anything else id need besidesthe central filter to sort out my connection issues, your help would be greatly appreciated.

jase

Edited by J_J

try calling your internet provider.......I used to have this problem where my adsl2 was connecting at 1mpbs and was disconnecting alloooooot of times in the day. I then called to complain and they resetted the exchange and I've been going through without disconnecting and at full speeds ever since

tried all that. after calling optus several times, a guy came up to my house and checked the phone connection and the exchange. everything was apparently normal, but still - i have to reset the damn modem!

the only thing i havent tried is putting in a central filter.

its not that difficult is it? im assuming the phone wire is up in the roof somewhere and i gotta put the filter in that.

On a main note; one way to find out if it is really a central filter that you need is to disconnect everything from your phone line and see if your internet works. Provided that everything that was originally connected had a single filter on it, if it makes a difference, then a central filter would be a good option. If when you unplug everything, the internet still doesn't work, then a central filter may not guarantee a fix. Now you did mention you had a house alarm right? Is it a back-to-base that is connected to your phone line? If so, you would usually require a central filter in this case as they like to intefere with ADSL.

The central filter is best installed as close to the point in which the phone line enters your residence, just before being split up to all the individual phone sockets. The installation is pretty straight forward, kinda just like a y-hose. The central splitter consits of one input with two outlets. When you wire it up before the phone line splits, one branch of the 'y' which is filtered goes to all the individual phone sockets, and the other connection goes to the ADSL router.

Now usually the point where the main line enters the house before it splits is located out of the way from everything else. Every house varies, so it would be up to you to find that. Ours for example splits in the garage on the opposite side of the power meter box. Since this area is out of the way, you then need to either place your router near the splitter, or run some phone cable from the unfiltered portion of the central filter to wherever you want to place your router.

The entire process is extremely straight forward. That said though, because it involves modifying the phone line, it is classified as illegal to do it yourself without the appropriate cabling license. This doesn't stop many people though but just be aware of that if you were to go that route.

yea the house alarm is programmed to call my mobile whenever the alarm goes off. So id get my house number appearing in my mobile's caller id and if i pick it up and all i hear is alarm bells, then my house is broken into or my wife left the dog inside with the alarm on (which means 1 stressed out dog).

so its illegal to do myself? stupid sonofa... bull$hit hassle i have to pay someone to do it :(

oh wells.

ill take a look up in the roof coz i wana make sure i HAVE to call a pro to do it. if its something i can figure out myself, ima get myself a 2nd hand central filter from ebay and do it.

thanks for the info djkor.

if theres anyone else with something to add, please do so?!

jase

• 3 months later...

anyone know any adsl installers?

ive read in some places it costs 150-200 to install... just wanted to confirm these prices with anyone on the forum? or if you can recommend someone who would better that price in the Western SYdney area, that would be grand!

thanks in advance,

jase.